Sunday, December 12, 2010

REVIEW: Bedlam by Greg Hollingshead

book cover of Bedlam by Greg Hollingshead
Title:  Bedlam:  A Novel of Love and Madness
Author:  Greg Hollingshead
Publish Date:  September 2006
Genre:  Historical Fiction, Adult Fiction
Page Count:  320 pages


     This is going to be a very easy book review, for the fact that I simply could not make myself finish this novel.

      Taking place at the end of the 18th century in England, the novel centers around James Tilly Matthews, a man who has been institutionalized seemingly without reason.  The time period in which this novel takes place, if you happened to have opposite political views, you could be jailed, killed, or institutionalized.  Both Margaret Matthews, his wife, and the chief apothecary of the institution, John Haslam, are struggling to find the reason that James is institutionalized.

      Though this is based on historical events, I could not make myself continue reading this book.  I was interested at the very beginning, and the further I went, the further my mind slipped away from it.  Maybe I'll pick it up one day and finish it, but right now, I just can't.

     I would recommend this for anyone that enjoys historical fiction.  Maybe you'll have better luck than I did with it.


     Think you might want to give this book a try?  Read other reviews or order from Amazon!   Bedlam: A Novel of Love and Madness

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...