Friday, December 31, 2010

REVIEW: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

book cover of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
     Title:  Outlander (Outlander Series, #1)
     Author:  Diana Gabaldon
     Publish Date:  1991
     Genre:  Historical Fiction, Romance, Adult Fiction
     Page Count: 853 pages

     I have to say first, that I was a bit apprehensive before reading this book because of some of the reviews that I read.  Most were either very good or they were awful, so I was a little unsure.

     The plot centers around Claire Randall, on a second honeymoon with her husband in the Scottish Highlands in 1945.  While exploring she falls into a crack in time, I guess you could call it, hurling her into 200 year past.  She is immediately caught by the the English army, but then taken by a group of Scots, and so her adventure begins.
    Originally set on finding her way back to the spot she fell through, to get back to her beloved husband, things don't go quite as planned.  She finds herself married to another man out of necessity, and falling in love with him.  
   Claire and her new husband are not without their enemies and the reader watches as they play cat and mouse with the infamous Captain Johnathan Randall, her previous husband's ancestor.

    So, I'll say first that I loved this book.  I thought that it was phenomenal.  One of the reasons that I think a lot of people had a hard time with it was because of the massive amounts of sex scenes that are laced through the last half of the novel.  While some of them would make you blush, I found most of them to be not that bad.  There are a few other uncomfortable situations along the way, but nothing too terrible.  If you are conservative though, this is not a book that you should read.

     I loved Gabaldon's development of Claire and her Scot husband, Jamie.  You expect Jamie to be a brute that has little personality, and Claire to be a ridiculous damsel is distress, but they are both quite the opposite.  The relationship that is between them was also one of the best aspects of the novel.  I was throughly engrossed in this novel and I finished it in 5 days.  The book was over 800 pages.

     She also paid close attention to the speech patterns of the Scots in the novel, and I think she did a large amount of research for the novel, which was a pleasant surprise.

     Overall, I highly highly recommend this novel.  I would give it a 5 out of 5.


Think you might want to give this book a try?  Read other reviews or order from Amazon!    Outlander

1 comment:

Susan said...

Do you plan on reading the rest-I do. Sorry to be commenting so much in your blog but well, you read my favorite author and I can't help myself.

Anyways back to the book at hand, I'm currently reading this myself (around part 4) can't tell you the page number b/c the kindle doesn't work that way. I absolutely love the book and have recommended it to so many people. I don't know about you, but sometimes I feel I'm the last person on earth that hasn't heard about a great book or new series. I read a lot of what I call book candy, so I lose track of all that good stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...