Sunday, December 26, 2010

REVIEW: The Stand by Stephen King

book cover of The Stand by Stephen King
Title:  The Stand
Author:  Stephen King
Publish Date:   1978
Genre:  Horror, Adult Fiction, Post Apocalyptic 
Page Count:  1,200 pages


     First, let me say that it has taken me a LONG time to read this book.  I honestly don't remember how long ago I started, but I have had to start and stop more times than I can count.  And at over 1,000 pages, it would have taken a while.

     The main plot of the story is a superflu virus spreads rapidly through the United States (and we're assuming the world as well) and has killed most of the population, though there are some people who are immune.  We meet these characters as the superflu takes hold of the country and as they struggle to survive.  The characters begin having dreams, telling them to travel to Hemmingford Home, Nebraska to see an old woman, Mother Abigail but are also having dreams of some dark figure that terrifies them.  The survivors congregate in Boulder, Colorado with Mother Abigail, but a faction is gather in Las Vegas as well, setting up a fight of good against evil.

      I read the uncut version.  I honestly don't think that you can find the abridged version anymore, but it is long, with a lot of detail.  While I was reading this, I read several reviews on Goodreads.com, and there were several people that felt that King put too many unnecessary details throughout the book and that much of it could have been cut out.  Now, I agree that there are some parts that might have been able to be cut out, but most of it was really essential to the development on the conflict and the concept of the good v. evil battle going on.

     In my opinion, this was one of this more scary novels, for the simple fact that it is semi realistic.  What if there was a superflu that wiped out most of the world?  With the bio-warfare that I'm sure is being developed in secret, its not far fetched at all.  There are some supernatural elements in this novel, and the infamous Randall Flagg makes his appearance as the Dark Man.

This novel is long, it takes a while to get through and at times it does tend to drag a little bit, but overall I really enjoyed it.  Overall, I would give this novel a 4.5 out of 5.



Think you might want to give this book a try?  Read other reviews or order from Amazon!  The Stand: Expanded Edition: For the First Time Complete and Uncut

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...