Monday, January 10, 2011

REVIEW: The Bone Woman by Clea Koff

book cover of The Bone Woman by Clea KoffTitle:  The Bone Woman: A Forensic Anthropologist's Search for Truth in the Mass Graves of Rwanda, Bosnia, Croatia, and Kosovo
Author:  Clea Koff
Date Published:  2004
Genre:  Non-Fiction
Page Count:  304 pages
Challenge:  None


     Clea Koff is a forensic anthropologist who worked on mass graves in Rwanda, Bosnia, Croatia, and Kosovo.  She chronicles her experience as she works through the different sites, the experiences she has with her team mates, and the experiences she has with family members of the victims that she uncovered.
     There were parts that she went into a lot of detail about technical things, but you could basically grasp what she was talking about.  One of my favorite parts was right at the beginning where she talks a little bit about her childhood and what led her to want to become a forensic anthropologist.  Its very evident that she loves what she does and she does it for the "right reasons."  I know that sounds odd, but that's the only way that I can think to explain it.


The biggest complaint I have, which isn't really a complaint, is that she writes very mechanically at some points and she does spend a little bit of time focusing on how they don't have proper facilities and proper equipment and you lose the importance of the actual missions.
This is also not for the faint of heart.  When she talks about some scenes, you can really picture the carnage that happened in some places and it is heartbreaking.  Especially in Rwanda, because a lot of the genocide took place in churches.  Its pretty horrifying.  


Overall I liked the book, it was very interesting.  I would give it a 3.5 our of 5.


Think you might want to give this book a try?  Read more reviews or order from Amazon.com!   The Bone Woman: A Forensic Anthropologist's Search for Truth in the Mass Graves of Rwanda, Bosnia, Croatia, and Kosovo

3 comments:

R said...

This sounds like something I might enjoy. Well. When I say 'enjoy', I mean in the same way I 'enjoyed' Hotel Rwanda. With tears streaming down my face.

Thanks for the review! Now I've got another book on my list of books to read.

S.Leighanne said...

I loved Hotel Rwanda, and if I remember correctly, I think she visited the place that it was based off of.
Very powerful, I think you'll enjoy it!

S.Leighanne said...

I loved Hotel Rwanda, and if I remember correctly, I think she visited the place that it was based off of.
Very powerful, I think you'll enjoy it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...