Tuesday, January 11, 2011

REVIEW: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Title:  Heart of Darkness
Author:  Joseph Conrad
Date Published:  First Published in 1899
Genre:  Classic Literature
Page Count:  200 pages
Challenge:  Forgotten Treasures Challenge


book cover of The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
     Alright, I feel bad, because this is supposedly a must read, and a classic.  Before I write my reviews, I generally look at other reviews to see what other people thought, and it seems once again that you either love this book, or you hate it.  Unfortunately, I am the latter.
      The story is about a sailor, Marlow, who took a trip down the Congo.  On his journey he discovers that the company that he works for is using the natives as slaves in some areas, and are leaving them to die in the wooded areas around the work site.  As he travels, he continually hears the name of Mr. Kurtz and becomes intrigued.  So they set out to find him, and when they do, it is not at all what they expect.
      I really wanted to like this.  I get what Conrad was trying to do, but I just did not like this.  I did not like the way it was written, at all.  When things were actually happening, I found that easier to get through, but there were portions where he was just talking about going down the river, or his journey, and it was just rough to read.


Overall, I really did not enjoy this book.  But, because its a classic, I'll give it a 2 out of 5.


Think you might want to give this book a try?  Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com      Heart Of Darkness

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

This was a book I read in high school and I firmly believe that there are just some books that you can't fully appreciate if you don't have some sort of discussion on them. I think this is one of those books that would do better if there were some type of discussion that points out the brilliant parts of the book and why it's representative of it's time. I think without that knowledge, I would've hated the book just the same as you.

Elizabeth said...

I had an eye on this book for some time now and was wondering how this would be...Your review has cleared my doubts :)

I may read it but not now

S.Leighanne said...

@Stephanie - I get what you're saying, and like I said, I understood what he was trying to do, and I do really like it for that, but the way it was written I just could not wrap my head around.

@Elizabeth - Its a short read, I could have finished it in one day. I think that at some point you HAVE to read it. The concept is a great concept, I just couldn't get into the way it was written.

Stephanie said...

This was a book I read in high school and I firmly believe that there are just some books that you can't fully appreciate if you don't have some sort of discussion on them. I think this is one of those books that would do better if there were some type of discussion that points out the brilliant parts of the book and why it's representative of it's time. I think without that knowledge, I would've hated the book just the same as you.

S.Leighanne said...

@Stephanie - I get what you're saying, and like I said, I understood what he was trying to do, and I do really like it for that, but the way it was written I just could not wrap my head around.

@Elizabeth - Its a short read, I could have finished it in one day. I think that at some point you HAVE to read it. The concept is a great concept, I just couldn't get into the way it was written.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...