Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Sunday Salon (1)

I'm sure that most of you have heard of The Sunday Salon, and I bet that several of you are participants, or read some blogs that particpate.  So, most of you probably know that they close the participation when the feed they used was overloaded.  Well, now its a Facebook group and they invite all members - new and old - to join in the conversation!  If you have a Facebook account, head on over and join the group!


Book Purging
I keep seeing posts among bloggers about going through and doing some new year book purging.  You know, going through your books, picking out things that you'll never read again or just need to be gotten rid of.  I don't think I won enough books to go through and participate in this, but how many of you do?  And if you do get rid of your old books, what do you do with them?  Do you donate them, give them to friends,  or participate in book swaps?


Old Book Editions
So right now, we're in the process of painting and moving some things around in our house, and I happened to come across a box of some books that she had when she was in high school.  I found old copies of:   Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown, Slaughterhouse-Five: A Novel and Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut and an old hardback copy of a collection of Ray Bradbury stories.  The three paperbacks were in pretty bad shape, but I was kinda surprised at finding those, since I pegged her more as a romance reader.


We're snowed in!
Not really.  I do live in South Carolina, and snow is a pretty rare thing.  But if any of you have been watching the Weather Channel lately, you know that there is a winter storm moving across most of the Southern states. Right now, its snowing pretty hard and we'll probably have ice and freezing rain most of tomorrow.  The semester was supposed to begin tomorrow, but all school is cancelled.  Assuming we don't lose power, I think that I'll probably be in my bed all day, trying to get through the last bit of It and The Bone Woman: A Forensic Anthropologist's Search for Truth in the Mass Graves of Rwanda, Bosnia, Croatia, and Kosovo.


Hopefully I'll have some more reviews up by the end of the week!


Happy reading everyone!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...