Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Sunday Salon (4)

Edition #4 of the Sunday Salon.  Remember that if you want to become a participant, log onto Facebook.com and join the group!


Reading Multiple Books
The other day, I commented to my mother that I was reading 4 different books.  Her response to me was "How in the world do you not get them all mixed up?"
To me, its simple.  In all of the books that I'm reading, all of the characters and the stories are so distinct and so different that its hard to confuse them all.
For example, I'm reading Anna Karenina and Fellowship of the Ring.  Let's break this down.  Anna Karenina is a romance, while Fellowship of the Ring is a epic advanture/fantasy.  How could you possibly mix the two?  I guess for some its easier than others.
Some people like to completely immerse themselves into characters and settings.  If the story is particularly good I will drop everything else that I'm reading so I can finish it.  I did that with Outlander and again when I was finishing Pillars of the Earth.
So, I wanted to see what everyone else thought about that.  Do you enjoy reading more than one book at a time, or do you like to only focus on one and really dive in and lose yourself?


Audio Books!
I'm really struggling with this.  I really really really want to try an audiobook, something that I could listen to in the car on the way to and from campus, but I have no idea where to even start.  When I went to B&N yesterday, I looked at some.   They're so expensive!  Its crazy!  And I don't have the kind of money to spend $50 on an audiobook.
So, I wanted to see if anyone else had any alternatives?  I know I've heard of audiable.com, which I think I spelled wrong, but I don't know of anyone who has used it and I haven't had an opportunity to go there myself.  Does anyone have any insight into the world of audiobooks?


There's my salon post this week!  Happy reading everyone, and enjoy the rest of your week!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...