Sunday, January 2, 2011

Wondering about the Nook?

As any reader knows, ereaders are rapidly growing in popularity. Of course, they are not to replace a traditional book, or they won't for me anyway.
When ereaders were first released, I was pretty skeptical, but I started doing some research on the different models that were offered, and I settled on the Nook by Barnes and Noble. I got it a few days before Christmas, and here is what I think so far of my Nook.
So, to put it plainly, I love it. I really do. I got the Nook Wifi, rather than the Nook Color. I wanted the E-ink screen, since I will be using it only for books. If you have magazine subscriptions and such, I would suggest spending the extra money and buying a Nook Color, since it has the LCD screen.
Anyway, back to my review. The setup was easy, and it is very easy to use. The bottom LCD screen makes for easy navigation and when you need to use the keyboard, if you have a touchscreen phone, this is even easier to use that that.  Other perks include:
  • B&N Shop - You can access the B&N shop directly from the device if you're connected to Wifi and you can browse ebooks by category, or you can directly search for what you're looking for.
  • In-store Reading - A cool feature that Barnes and Noble offers is that you can read any ebook for free while you are in one of their stores, however there is a one hour time limit.
  • Built-in Dictionary - A feature that I love is the built in dictionary. When I'm reading historical fiction, sometimes I come across terms I'm unfamiliar with and I can just highlight the word and it looks it up for me, without being connected to wifi.
  • File Types - It supports .epub, .pdf, and many other formats.  The Kindle will support amazon files, .mobi and .pdf and if you use the ebook management software, Calibre, you can convert most other file types to suit your needs.
  • LendMe Techonology - Another neat feature, is the lending techonology that it has. If a book has the lend me emblem next to it, you can lend it to any other Nook user for 14 days. During that time, you can not access the file, just like if you were lending an actual book. I believe that the Kindle has recently started using this technology as well.
  • Store Support - Though I have not had any problems with mine, I have been told by several people that the store support is great and that they are good about replacing your device if certain problems arise, even without an extended warranty.



Overall, I love this ereader.  Like I said previously, this will never take the place of a real book, but it is a great addition to my library.  I would highly recommend this device to anyone!

6 comments:

Susan said...

I got the nook color for myself this year. I also have the 1st generation Kindle. So the nook is great b/c I can also get epub books from my library and load it onto my nook. My sister also got the nook color and she will be set up on my email addy with B&N, this way any book bought by the other can be loaded to each of our nooks, which is great when we read about the same stuff, not all but about the same.

I'm glad you like your nook and hope you enjoy it like I enjoy both of mine.

Stephanie said...

I have a Kindle, and I adore it. But to clarify on what files it supports it supports .azw (Amazon specific file type), .mobi,& .pdf, and through use of a program like Calibre you can convert most ebooks into those formats.

S.Leighanne said...

Thanks for clarification Stephanie! I'll make that correction now :]

Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I absolutely love this technology and like you, I was initially a bit skeptical on it when it first came out a couple of years ago! Within just a few days with my Nook Color, I'm kicking myself for not jumping on this sooner!

Elizabeth said...

Hi,
I liked the look and design of your blog. Welcome to the blogosphere...Hope you will have a great blogging experience..

Wishing you all the best..

Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I absolutely love this technology and like you, I was initially a bit skeptical on it when it first came out a couple of years ago! Within just a few days with my Nook Color, I'm kicking myself for not jumping on this sooner!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...