Thursday, February 24, 2011

REVIEW: The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkein

book cover of The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. TolkienTitle:  The Fellowship of the Ring
Author:  J. R. R. Tolkien
Date Published:  Originally published in 1954
Genre:  Science Fiction, Classic Literature, Fantasy
Page Count:  432 pages
Challenge:  E-Book Challenge

I was scared to read this at first.  I'm usually the type of person who would rather read the book than watch the movie.  Seeing the movie first usually ruins things.  But in this case, because the movies were so phenomenal (in my humble opinion), I did see them before I read this.  However, I have to say that I was not disappointed at all in the book at all.

The prologue was so hard to get through.  Oh, it was ridiculously hard.  I wanted to quit right then, but I made it through the prologue and it picked up from there.  I was surprised at how close the book was with the movie, but of course there were differences.  There were a few characters that they left out that I loved, like Tom.

I see reviews all the time about how this book isn't great and how Tolkien isn't a great writer and this book is overrated and this, that and the third, and I think those people can just shove it, once again, in my humble opinion.  There is no perfect writer, and everyone has differences of opinion.  But I think that this is a classic, and anyone who hasn't read it and loves fantasy, should read this book.  I give this book 5 our of 5 stars.


Think you might want to give this book a try?  Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com!  The Fellowship of the Ring: Being the First Part of The Lord of the Rings

3 comments:

~ames~ said...

I remember my mad scramble to read all three books before the movies came out. LOL To this day, the two towers is my favorite.

One thing I miss from the books that didn't make it to the movies was the singing. I think hobbits singing would have been cute. :P

Book_Sniper said...

Thanks for the review. The movies were great, but they could not come close to the books.

~ames~ said...

I remember my mad scramble to read all three books before the movies came out. LOL To this day, the two towers is my favorite.

One thing I miss from the books that didn't make it to the movies was the singing. I think hobbits singing would have been cute. :P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...