Wednesday, February 23, 2011

REVIEW: Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard by Kiran Desai

Title:  Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard
Author:  Kiran Desai
Date Published:  1999
Genre:  Non-Western Literature
Page Count:  224 pages
Challenge:  None

book cover of Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard by Kiran Desai
     I had to read this book for my Non-Western Literature class that I took a few semesters back, and I loved every book that we read, except for this one.

     The book is set in India, Sampath, a boy who's birth coincided with the end of a massive drought, a boy that the town said was destined for great things.  However, as he nears his twenties, Sampath has been a failure to his family and has embarrassed them in more than one way.  But suddenly, Sampath climbs into a guava tree and becomes a holy man for the people of his town, and of course his father capitalizes on his success.

     I just could not get into this book to save my life!  It was slow going and the characters were just really odd.  Sampath's mother was a very strange character, who loves to cook, but can't find anything to satisfy her appetite.  His sister is a pretty strange character, too.  There are certain parts that made me laugh out loud, just because it was so out there.  And the ending was just so bizarre that I couldn't wrap my head around it.

     For learning parts of India's culture, I did like this book.  I just couldn't get into the story.  Overall, I would give this book a 2.5 out of 5.

Think you might want to give this book a try?  Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard: A Novel

2 comments:

mohit said...

An enjoyable read The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. loved the way she wrote it. I find your review very genuine and orignal.

mohit said...

An enjoyable read The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. loved the way she wrote it. I find your review very genuine and orignal.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...