Monday, February 7, 2011

REVIEW: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

book cover of Little Women by Louisa May AlcottTitle:  Little Women
Author:  Louisa May Alcott
Date Published:  First Published in 1868
Genre:  Classic Literature
Page Count:  528 pages
Challenge:  E-Book Challenge

     I've been told by so many people that this is such a classic and a must read and such, so I thought that this would be my first pick on my list for reading the classics.

     It took me a good bit to get into this book.  It began with the March girls talking about what a dismal Christmas it was going to be because their family didn't have a lot of money and they missed their father.  The whole family was just so perfect I could hardly stand it at first.
     However, as the book went on, it got better, and I was definitely glad of that. I watched as the March girls became friends with the boy neighbor, Laurie. Laurie and Jo become close, and the March family adopt the mother-less boy being raised by his grandfather.
     The children grow up, and one by one, each of them falls in love and marries and all is right with the world. Definitely a happily ever after feeling.

      When I was first reading, it made me sick just how perfect the Marches were, especially Mrs. March. She is the go to guide for anything and everything, she always has a kind word for her children and she always keeps them on the right path. I just couldn't stand it! But as I kept reading, and I really considered the time period that it was written in, I felt I could appreciate it more and I could appreciate the wholesomeness of it as well.

     I liked this book. It was a little slow at first, but the morals and values that it teaches and the time period that it was written, it was a decent read, and I did enjoy it. Overall, I would give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Think you might want to give this book a try?  Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  Little Women (Signet Classics)

2 comments:

Jillian said...

One of my favorites. I see you're reading Gone With the Wind, too. My ABSOLUTE favorite. :-)

LeighannesLit said...

I struggled through Little Women at certain points, but I'm am seriously loving Gone With the Wind right now! I can see why its your favorite!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...