Wednesday, March 16, 2011

REVIEW: 1984 by George Orwell

book cover of 1984 by George OrwellTitle:  1984
Author:  George Orwell
Date Published:  Originally published in 1949
Genre:  Classic Fiction, Science Fiction
Page Count:  298 pages
Challenges:  E-Book Challenge

This was one of those books that I had always meant to read and just never had.  While I can't say that it was my favorite classic read, I did still enjoy it.

1984.  Who doesn't know the premise?  This is where the term "Big Brother is watching you" comes from.  I knew that before reading the book.  The premise really intrigued me when I first heard about it forever ago, it just took me forever to pick it up.  But, as intrigued as I was, I had a hard time getting into it at first.  Originally, my boyfriend and I were trying to read this together, but he lost interest before the story got good.

To me, the story didn't get really interesting until Julia was introduced.  There were also several times that it felt more like an essay than a novel, which turned me off from a little bit, but it made up for it in the end.  The last bit of the novel was the best part..  I loved the way that Orwell depicted Winston's journey through the Ministry of Love.  And O'Brian.  I can't really say much about him without giving it away, but part of me loved him and wanted to understand him and part of me really hated him.  I will say that there were parts of it that was predictable, but maybe that's just because sometimes I expect the worst.

I liked this book, even though it did feel a bit like an essay at times.  Overall, I give it a 3.75 out of 5.


Think you might want to give this book a try?  Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com!  Nineteen Eighty-Four

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...