Thursday, March 17, 2011

REVIEW: Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

book cover of Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
Title: Breakfast of Champions
Author: Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Date Published: First published in 1973
Genre: Classic Literature
Page Count: 303 pages
Challenge: E-Book Challenge

The more Vonnegut I read, the more I really love him.  I love his characters and I really love the way that he writes.  A lot of people don't like the way that he repeats certain things or just the way that he writes in general.  To each their own.

Anyway, I loved this book.  There were a few points that it did get a little boring for me, but I couldn't put it down, I read the entire thing in a day. I couldn't sum it up any better than this, (from Goodreads.com) "One of his favorite characters, aging writer Kilgore Trout, finds to his horror that a Midwest car dealer is taking his fiction as truth. The result is murderously funny satire as Vonnegut looks at war, sex, racism, success, politics, and pollution in America and reminds us how to see the truth."


There were so many things that I loved about this.  I loved the illustrations that he added in, almost like those that were reading his book were from a completely different civilization, and he's showing us new things.  I love how the things making Hoover do bad things are "bad chemicals."  And I think I just overall love Kilgore Trout and his bird, Bill.  The descriptions of his stories throughout the novel, some are hysterical.  And its interesting to me how there are certain things that are interconnected, but everything is "coincidence."

I think Vonnegut is the master of satire. I loved this book, I thought it was fantastic.  I definitely give this book a 5 out of 5.


Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  Breakfast of Champions: A Novel

1 comment:

Gypsi said...

I read my first Vonnegut this autumn and fell in love with him, too. This one is on my TBR shelf, and you've made me want to bump it up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...