Friday, March 18, 2011

REVIEW: The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker

book cover of The Hellbound Heart by Clive BarkerTitle: The Hellbound Heart
Author: Clive Barker
Date Published: First published in 1986
Genre: Horror, Science Fiction
Page Count: 176 Pages
Challenge: E-Book Challenge

     Most of us that love cheesy 80's horror films have seen the film Hellraiser.  I saw the films (all but 2 out of the 7) about 2 years ago and recently just watched the second one all over again.  It wasn't until after I saw the films that I learned that they were based off of this novella.  Of course, I told myself I would read it, but only recently decided to do it.  A quick synopsis:  Frank is no longer satisfied with simple human pleasure, so he sets out to find the Lemarchand puzzle box.  He finds it, solves it, and enter the cenabites, who promise to introduce him to pleasure that he could only dream of.  However, their definition of pleasure and his are two different things, and crazy things ensue from there.

     I've been told that Barker is hit or miss when it comes to his work.  I would say that this is a definite hit.  I guess because Clive Barker was so involved in the production of the film, the two coincided pretty closely together.  But as much as I loved the films, the book was so much better.  You were able to see more of Frank and Julia's motivation as the story unfolded.
     I will say that I was surprised at how sexual in nature a lot of the beginning on the novel was and some scenes thereafter.  It all comes back to sex and pleasure, so if you are easily offended by things like that, I wouldn't recommend reading this.  Also, if you expect to see Pinhead, you will be sorely disappointed.  He appears very briefly at the beginning of the novel, but that's the only place.

     Overall, I really liked this.  It was a very quick read, since its only a novella.  I would definitely give this novel a 4.5 out of 5.


Think you might want to give this book a try?  Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com!   The Hellbound Heart: A Novel

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...