Wednesday, March 23, 2011

REVIEW: White Oleander by Janet Fitch

book cover of White Oleander by Janet FitchTitle:  White Oleander
Author:  Janet Fitch
Date Published:  1999
Genre:  Adult Fiction
Page Count:  390 Pages
Challenge: None

     Alright, here's an Oprah's Book Club book that I actually enjoyed.  I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for this book.  And here are my thoughts.

     Astrid Magnussen is a child, living with her mother. Her mother, an artist, a poet and a woman who fights fiercely. However, when Ingrid's boyfriend leaves her, she exacts her revenge and poisons him with oleander flowers. She is arrested, sentenced to prison and sends her daughter to a never ending string of foster homes, and we follow Astrid on her journey to find herself, without her mother.

     A lot of the content of this book is truly horrifying. I think one of the reasons that it is so horrifying is because some of the experiences that this child has, are experiences that other children have, this isn't merely a work of fiction. Some homes are better than others, but a lot of them are less than ideal. as she struggles to find herself, her mother still tries to exercise her control from prison. But through the small bit of love that she does find through one foster mom, she is able to stand up for herself.

     This book is graphic and intense, and if that is not your cup of tea, I suggest that you stay away from this book. I know that it was made into a movie, which I haven't seen, but I've been told that like usual, the book is far better than the movie. The intensity of this book, and the way that Astrid's story has stuck with me, though its been a few years since I have read this book, everything has stuck with me. I would recommend this book to anyone, and I give it a 5 out of 5.


Think you might want to give this book a try?  Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com   White Oleander (Oprah's Book Club)

1 comment:

Nathalie said...

Good review.. I'm going to add this to my to-read list

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...