Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Ridiculous Excuse for Journalism.

     So, as I was perusing Facebook this evening, watching severe weather, I came across an article that one of my close friends posted.  Apparently, this has blown up in the blogosphere, but I guess since I've been away for a bit, I was the last to know.  Regardless of that, I'm going to write about it now.
     In a small town in Pennsylvania, there lives a 10th grade school teacher.  She's been teaching for 25 years.  She also writes erotic fiction on the side, under an assumed name.  Judy Mays has published several books that would probably make you blush.  However, she has never made her second career public, until now.  In what is a completely sorry excuse for journalism, WNEP of Snyder County, PA thought that it would be a good idea to out this woman's second career.  Of course, you can imagine the response that ensued.
     If you read the broadcast, transcribed below the video, you will see the complete idiocy that I'm referring to.  This is a woman has been a successful and esteemed educator for 25 years.  She is a published author.  But, you can't do anything without offending someone these days and there are parents that apparently think that it is wrong for a teacher to do something else, other than teach.  Judy Mays has never publicly let her students know that she was a writer, which tells me that she has reserve and knows how to keep things separate that need to be.
     I'm not a fan of her type of novels.  Its just not my thing.  However, there are plenty of people that do read her novels and other novels of that genre and I think that its completely ridiculous that there are people that think that she's "disgusting" because of the things that she writes about.  If there wasn't a market for it, she wouldn't write about it.
    Some parents are even going as far as to say that she need to be either a school teacher or a writer.  Why should she have to choose?  Why should she have to choose between the two things that she loves doing when she was not the one that went public with this information.  It shouldn't be an issue.  The subjects of her books to my knowledge are not about teenagers, she is not selling them to the students that she teaches, hell, she doesn't even talk about it to the children she teaches.  Basically, what I think is happening is that some stay at home moms with nothing better to do, looked too deep on the Internet and they're pissed because there's someone doing what they never could do and writing about all the sex that they'll never have.  Excuse me for being blunt, but that's my humble opinion.  

So, what can you do to support Judy Mays?  You can go to Facebook, and show your support by liking this page.  There are also other ways to help, and if you visit this article, it will tell you how to do that.

I don't think that I could sum this up better myself, but one of my good friends did it and posted it on WNEP's Facebook page,
"Shame on WNEP for relying on sensationalism to attract readers. Reporting the facts is one thing. Inciting outrage by lending the article a flavor of scandal is quite another. Unless her actions are breaking the law (and I assure you, THEY ARE NOT) it is of no import how she chooses to spend her free time. I mean really, you are faulting an English teacher for pursuing a creative outlet? Yeah, how dare she be an independent thinker with an entrepreneurial bent who pursues her own passion for writing outside of her work environment, under an assumed name, no less. What if all teachers did this? What if they were, GASP, like real people who have varied interests that might not align with the rest of the population? They might all teach our children horrible things like perseverance, creativity, critical thinking, the power of believing in and pursuing ones dreams. Yeah, those are terrible, terrible lessons to learn… Shame on you for potentially ruining a woman's career to sell a story. This is why journalism earns a bad reputation--people like Kena Vernon twisting facts and inciting scandal to make her debut catchy."
 
So, what do you bloggers think?  As you know my opinion, I would love to hear yours!

2 comments:

booksaremyboyfriends said...

I wrote a jokey Twitter about this but take the actual situation very seriously. The woman used a pseudonym, she did not make her second career public, she kept her two lives appropriately separated, all accusations against her are trumped up bullshit and I'm so grossed out that America has to keep history-repeating-itself Arthur Miller's "The Crucible" ad nauseam.

booksaremyboyfriends said...

I wrote a jokey Twitter about this but take the actual situation very seriously. The woman used a pseudonym, she did not make her second career public, she kept her two lives appropriately separated, all accusations against her are trumped up bullshit and I'm so grossed out that America has to keep history-repeating-itself Arthur Miller's "The Crucible" ad nauseam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...