Thursday, May 26, 2011

REVIEW: Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

book cover of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Title:  Pride and Prejudice
Author: Jane Austen
Date Published: First published in 1813
Genre: Classic Literature
Page Count: 392 pages
Challenge: E-Book Challenge

I think this is one of those books that everyone is required to read at some point or another.  It took me forever to actually read this and despite the problems that I had at the very beginning, I am glad that I read this.

Okay, I really struggling with this at the beginning.  I get what Austen's point was and I understand the time period that this was written in.  Wit was very important, especially when it came to exchanges between men and women.  So, with that said, I understand the point of a lot of the dialog , but that didn't make me like it anymore.  Getting through the first 200 pages was something similar to torture.  I did not enjoy it, at all.  However, once Austen really started getting into the relationship between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, I got interested.

Though I didn't like the beginning, it was necessary to get through all of that to get to the good part.  The end of the book was well worth it, and I ended up loving Mr. Darcy.  I have to say that I always liked Elizabeth from the very beginning.  I think that was because she was constantly being harassed about how headstrong that she was and she spoke her mind, and that's something that I can relate to.
Some of my favorite parts:  The exchange between Lady Catherine and Elizabeth was by far one of my favorite parts of the novel.  Lady Catherine was such a bitch that I could hardly stand it, and when Eliza let her have it like she did, I just loved it.
Other characters I hated were Mr.Collins and Lydia.  Mr. Collins was such a ridiculous excuse for a man that I just couldn't make myself like him.  And Lydia was just such an idiot through the entire book that I had no love for her.

So aside from the ridiculous characters that I couldn't stand, the love story was sweet and it wasn't a bad read.  If you love classic literature and haven't read this, I suggest you do.  Overall, I would give this a 3.5 our of 5.  Definitely a must read, but not quite up my alley.


Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  Pride And Prejudice

2 comments:

Jillian said...

I didn't like this book when I read it in 2010. Then I reread it in 2011 and LOVED it. Austen's work changes as you read it -- almost like you see through different perspectives.

That said, you might better like Persuasion or Sense and Sensibility.

LeighannesLit said...

Those were on my list to read this year! I just don't know if I'm going to get to them though. I'm trying to whittle down my physical TBR pile, and all of my Austen novels are in ebooks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...