Tuesday, May 10, 2011

REVIEW: The Regulators by Richard Bachman (Stephen King)

book cover of The Regulators by Richard Bachman
Title: The Regulators
Author: Richard Bachman (Stephen King)
Date Published: October 1, 1996
Genre: Horror, Adult Fiction
Page Count: 475 pages
Challenge: Stephen King Challenge

So if you've read Desperation, then you will be familiar with the villain and almost all of the characters in this novel.  The Regulators takes place in what I think of as an alternate universe.
Tak returns in this novel, only this time he's taken over an 8 year old autistic child, Seth Garin, who is obsessed with western films and televeision shows, as well as Motokops 2200, a futuristic cartoon.  Seth lives with his aunt on Poplar Street, in a suburban neighborhood in Ohio, a perfectly normal block, everyone knows one another and everyone is well liked.  But the neighborhood soon learns that there is evil lurking on their streets, and no one will be spared.

I liked this book.  I actually think I liked it a little better than Desperation.  I really liked the fact that King kept all of the characters intact in between the two novels, though some of their roles were reversed.  For example, David Carver was married to Pie, and had two children named Ralphie and Ellie in this novel.  In Desperation, Ralph and Ellie were married, with David and Pie as their children.
Another thing that struck me as funny was the fact that Tak lived inside Seth, but he would leave the body because he couldn't take it when Seth used the bathroom.  I just thought that was funny, but odd at the same time.
Once again though, there were things that I didn't like.  Certain parts where he paid so much attention to unimportant detail really made it lag just a little bit for me.

So, overall, I liked this book.  I would read it again, and I would recommend it to someone else, though its not in the upper level of King's work.  Also, I would recommend reading Desperation before reading this.  You have much more of an understanding of Tak and the back story if you do.
I would give this a 3.5 out of 5.

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com The Regulators

2 comments:

danny said...

I've never read Desperation or The Regulators. I saw the TV movie of Desperation but I didn't really like it. I may have to check out the book(s) though, I really like the idea of alternate worlds.
I like your blog,It looks much more professional than mine. Would you mind if I added you to my blogroll? I found you through twitter, I also tweeted about a #stephenking review I wrote last night. It's about The Dark Half, though there are slight spoilers. Feel free to check it out if you want. www.plagueoffire.net
I'm intrigued by the idea of a Stephen King Challenge. I might do that as well. There are easily 5 other books of his that I could read.

danny said...

I've never read Desperation or The Regulators. I saw the TV movie of Desperation but I didn't really like it. I may have to check out the book(s) though, I really like the idea of alternate worlds.
I like your blog,It looks much more professional than mine. Would you mind if I added you to my blogroll? I found you through twitter, I also tweeted about a #stephenking review I wrote last night. It's about The Dark Half, though there are slight spoilers. Feel free to check it out if you want. www.plagueoffire.net
I'm intrigued by the idea of a Stephen King Challenge. I might do that as well. There are easily 5 other books of his that I could read.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...