Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Sunday Salon (7)

Edition #7 of the Sunday Salon.  Remember that if you want to become a participant, log onto Facebook.com and join the group!






Reading the Classics
My original goal this year was to read as many of the classics that I could.  The classics being things like Jane Austen and some various other things.  If you've been reading my reviews, you can see that I haven't really been keeping with my original goal.  I've read a ton of books that weren't on my list, which really isn't much of an issue, but I decided I needed to get on track.
So, after I finished The Regulators, I decided that I would try and start into some Jane Austen, who I've never read before.  I picked up Pride and Prejudice, it seemed like a good place to start.   My problem with this?  I'm bored.  I'm about 100 pages in, and I'm so bored.  I understand the time period, it was all about wit, and so the exchanges have everything to do with that, but its just....boring.  I ran into the same problem with Anna Karenina.  I started it, had no idea what was going on, and I still don't know what's going on, so I just haven't been able to make myself go back to it.  
I think that Pride and Prejudice might be getting interesting.  I'm going to make myself stick it out, since it's much shorter than Anna Karenina.
Has anyone else had trouble getting into the "classics?"  If you have, how did you get around it?


On a more personal note,
I'm pretty sure that in the last 4 years of college, with all the time that I've spent on computers typing, I have developed carpel tunnel.  It is painful.  I've been wearing a brace since Wednesday night, and it hasn't really helped.  I've felt the pain before, but this is definitely the worst that its been.  It's kinda concerning.  At the same time, I know its a waste of my time (and my $20 copay) to go see someone since probably all they will tell me is to take antinflammitories and keep wearing the brace.  I'm just ready for it to go away, because it definitely is not making my job (or typing) any easier!


Anyway, that's the Salon for this week!  Happy reading everyone! 

3 comments:

unfinishedperson.com said...

How do I get around it?

I don't read classics. ;)

Actually I have read classics, but they are admittedly few and far between. Sometimes I've learned for myself, I have to wait to be in the mood. When will that be for you? It might be a month, it might be a year, but it will come. Don't worry. Enjoy what you're reading in the meantime.

Helen Smith said...

Sorry to hear about the carpal tunnel - I hope it gets better if you rest it.

Helen Smith said...

Sorry to hear about the carpal tunnel - I hope it gets better if you rest it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...