Monday, May 23, 2011

This Week's Reads

So, heres what I have for the week.  Some things I'm feeling, some things I'm not., unfortunately.  Maybe things will get better, we'll see.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
So, I'm on the fence about this.  Again, I understand the time period, and the exchanges that take place between the characters, but its just so tedious that I'm having a hard time.  I have a feeling that I haven't hit the good part of the novel yet though.  I will say that I absolutely CAN NOT STAND Mr. Collins.  I basically think he's a super annoying man, and I would have done the same thing if I were Elizabeth.  Speaking of Elizabeth, I'm interested to see where things go with her and Mr. Darcy.  I really hope that I like this book in the end.  I really want to like it.

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
I haven't gotten very far into this yet, so I don't have too much to comment on yet.  I just know that I love Vonnegut, and I love Kilgore Trout.  There is so much about him that is funny and crazy at the same time.  That's the way that a lot of Vonnegut's characters are though.  I think that this will be another novel that I love by Vonnegut, I just have to get through it first.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Okay.  This is another example of "I really hate making myself read classics."  I see all the time how many people absolutely love this novel and they love the story of it, but I just can't make myself get into it.  I hate it. About the only thing that I really know of that's going on, is that someone is having an affair, and someone else is trying to propose to someone else.  And I'm only like 40 pages in.  But the names are throwing me for a loop and I just can't make myself get into it.  I hate it, because I want to just read it and get it over with, but I think that I may have to just suck it up and either put it aside or....put it aside.  I'll make a decision late on this week.

The Dream Crystal by Mark O'Bannon
This one is actually a review request by the author. Its a fantasy type story, which interests me, and I'm about 30 pages in, but I haven't really had much of a chance to read this week, which if you've seen my Sunday Salon post, you know why!  Anyway, about the book.  I'm on the fence about this.  Because I haven't gotten far yet, there's a few things that are starting to happen, and there is a lot that hasn't yet been explained, which is kind of bugging me, but that's because I'm a ridiculously impatient person.  I'm also not sure how I feel about the main character.  She's got this attitude that I don't really know how to respond to.  But I have a lot more to read, so I'll try not to make assumptions.

Those are my reads this week!  Hopefully I can get some things read and you'll see more reviews before June begins!  Happy reading everyone!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...