Author: J. K. Rowling
Date Published: July 1998
Genre: Young Adult
Page Count: 341 pages
Once again, not really a review, just an overview of my favorite, and least favorite parts and favorite quotes. With this book, since I've only read books 1-5, this is my least favorite of the ones that I've read. I don't know why, it just didn't resonate with me as much as some of the other ones did. I felt like the end was a bit rushed. It just didn't stand out. Don't get me wrong, I still love the book, this was just my least favorite.
- The polyjuice potion. When Hermione comes out as a cat, it was just so funny to me. Of course, you knew that something had to go wrong with it. They could break a million school rules without something bad happening to one of them.
- The de-gnoming of the garden. I love how they had to spin them over the fence. Imagining gnomes being flung over a fence is just funny.
- The howler from Ron's mother. Imagine how embarrassing that would be? To have the entire school hear your mother yelling at you?
- I really liked the fact that we learned more about Voldemort in this book. We learned a little bit of his background, which made him a little more real in terms of a villain.
- Dobby! I freakin love Dobby! Even if he did almost kill Harry and Ron and almost get them thrown out of school, I love him.
Not so favorite parts:
- The Spiders. Oh. My. Gosh. I hate spiders. I can not stand them. I hate the scene in the woods with the giant spider. When I saw the movie for the first time I had dreams about spiders for a week, which is really sad since I'm a grown woman.
- Lockhart. He was such a stereotypical character, not to mention he was such an ass. I just couldn't stand him, and I think most other readers share the same sentiment.
- With every book, I hate Malfoy more and more. And with the introduction of his father in this book, I can't stand him either.
- "It is our choices, Harry, that show us who we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Dumbledore
- "Oh potter, you rotter, oh what have you done, You're killing off students, you think it's good fun." - Peeves
Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)