Saturday, June 4, 2011

REVIEW: Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets

book cover of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Title: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Author: J. K. Rowling
Date Published: July 1998
Genre: Young Adult
Page Count: 341 pages
Challenge: None

Once again, not really a review, just an overview of my favorite, and least favorite parts and favorite quotes.  With this book, since I've only read books 1-5, this is my least favorite of the ones that I've read.  I don't know why, it just didn't resonate with me as much as some of the other ones did.  I felt like the end was a bit rushed.  It just didn't stand out.  Don't get me wrong, I still love the book, this was just my least favorite.



Favorite parts:

  • The polyjuice potion.  When Hermione comes out as a cat, it was just so funny to me.  Of course, you knew that something had to go wrong with it.  They could break a million school rules without something bad happening to one of them.
  • The de-gnoming of the garden.  I love how they had to spin them over the fence.  Imagining gnomes being flung over a fence is just funny.
  • The howler from Ron's mother.  Imagine how embarrassing that would be?  To have the entire school hear your mother yelling at you?
  • I really liked the fact that we learned more about Voldemort in this book.  We learned a little bit of his background, which made him a little more real in terms of a villain.
  • Dobby!  I freakin love Dobby!  Even if he did almost kill Harry and Ron and almost get them thrown out of school, I love him.  

Not so favorite parts:

  • The Spiders.  Oh. My. Gosh.  I hate spiders.  I can not stand them.  I hate the scene in the woods with the giant spider.  When I saw the movie for the first time I had dreams about spiders for a week, which is really sad since I'm a grown woman.
  • Lockhart.  He was such a stereotypical character, not to mention he was such an ass.  I just couldn't stand him, and I think most other readers share the same sentiment.  
  • With every book, I hate Malfoy more and more.  And with the introduction of his father in this book, I can't stand him either.

Favorite quotations:

  • "It is our choices, Harry, that show us who we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Dumbledore
  • "Oh potter, you rotter, oh what have you done, You're killing off students, you think it's good fun." - Peeves

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...