Wednesday, June 15, 2011

REVIEW: Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire

book cover of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Title: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Author: J. K. Rowling
Date Published: First published 1999
Genre: Young Adult
Page Count: 734 pages
Challenge: None

This is one of my favorite books of the series I think, of the 5 that I've read.  I was honestly surprised at how I forgot several of the things that were in this book.  I think when I read it the first time, I read it fast and I didn't retain a lot of the information.  In this book, Rowling is getting a lot darker, the childhood phase is gone, and the kids are hitting adolescence.  One of the things that we really see is that the opposite sexes are discovering one another, with scenes like the Yule Ball, and suddenly Harry notices another girl, Cho Chang.  There were a lot of things in this book that I really liked, but there were a lot of things that made me really sad.  So, I suggest that if for whatever reason, you haven't read this series, you may not want to read past this point, because there are spoilers!

Favorite Parts:

  • I love Ron's new owl.  He seems like he would be beyond annoying, but at the same time, he just seems adorable because he's so little!
  • The quiddich world cup scenes were really fun.  Other than the ending scene of course.
  • The scene where George and Fred try and put their names into the Goblet of Fire and come out with beards. That's so amusing to me.
  • Ron's dress robes.  Their just horrible!  Moldy, purple, and lacy?  Yuck.
  • I really love that the kids are growing up and Rowling is able to get a little more complex with her writing.  This book is the darkest yet in the series, but such is life.
  • Moody really being Barty Crouch.  That was pretty crazy to me.  Of course you knew that there was something up why how he took such a liking to Harry, but the fact that he kept up the facade for a year, was pretty crazy.
  • S.P.E.W.  Hermione's got a great heart, but the acronym is awful and the whole thing is pointless.
  • Malfoy bouncing around as a ferret was one of the greatest scenes in the whole book.  He's such a little shit, he deserved it.

Not so favorite parts:

  • Voldemort.  I just want him to get out of here!  But then we wouldn't have the last 3 books, so as much as I hate him, he's a necessary evil.
  • Oh man.  When he killed Cedric, I cried so much.  It didn't help that I was overly tired when I was reading this part so I cried even harder than I did the first time.  And when the figures start coming out of the end of his wand, and Cedric asks him to take his body back, I cried even more.  And when his parents popped out. That entire scene was so intense.  I loved it, but it made me cry, which is why its in this section.
  • I really just can't figure Snape out, which really just makes me hate him.
  • Ron was such a shit after Harry's name came out of the goblet.  I was really mad at him for being such a butthead.
  • Rita Skeeter.  I'd like to punch her in the throat, I think.

Favorite Quotes:

  • "If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
  • "Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
  • "Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it." 
  • "We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."
  • "Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open." 
  • "Time will not slow down when something unpleasant lies ahead." 
  • "Never be ashamed. There’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth bothering with." 


Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...