Thursday, June 30, 2011

REVIEW: Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince

book cover of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Title: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Author: J. K. Rowling
Date Published: July 2005
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Page Count: 652 pages
Challenge: None

Oh, this book.  I don't even know where to begin.
Up until now, all of the other books had been rereads, and this one was a first time read.  And I have to say, that I can't believe I waited this long to finish this series.  This book was slightly different than the other, focusing more on relationships between the characters and less on fighting Voldemort.  However, even if Harry was not fighting him, he was still learning a lot about him, and a lot about Dumbledore as well.  Now we'll get into my favorite parts and not favorite parts.  As I've said before, if you've not read this series, don't read any further, there are spoilers!


Favorite Parts:
  • Fred and George's joke shop.  I think its awesome that they've been that successful.  And I really want to see what a pigmy puff looks like!  I have this image, but I'm pretty sure it looks nothing like it.
  • Probably the best part of this novel is the private lessons with Dumbledore.  Not just because I love Dumbledore, but because of the things that Harry was learning about.  Voldemort has been chasing Harry for years and years, and now we're really learning more about him, why he is the way that he is and so forth.  It being all through the use of memories, makes it even neater.
  • The Half-Blood Prince.  Brilliant in potions and inventing spells.  Of course, we find out later that it is Snape, and who would have ever pictured Snape helping Harry?  No one would have.
  • The relationships in this book were some of the best parts.  All of a sudden Ron is with Lavender and Hermione can't stand it, and then Harry suddenly likes Ginny and its all just very odd.  Of course you have to have expected the thing between Ron and Hermione since the beginning.  And I guess Harry and Ginny make sense don't they?
  • The use of the word "snogging."  I have never heard that word, but I think its the greatest thing ever.
Not so Favorite Parts:
book cover of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince UK cover
  • I will admit, I had the ending of this book spoiled for me, but even so, I was just not prepared for it.  The second Harry and Dumbledore got back, and Malfoy entered the tower, I was trying to prepare myself for it, but it didn't work.  Dumbledore's death killed me.  I cried through the majority of the rest of the book.  It was incredibly sad.  When I like a book enough to make me cry THAT much, its pretty crazy.
  • Slughorn.  I think he's just an annoying shit.  Picking his favorites and what not.  I would have hated him.
  • This is the book where Snape's side is truly revealed, and I hate it.  I hate him, and I hate what he did.
  • As much as we've come to dislike Malfoy because of everything that he's done, I can't help but feel bad for him.  In the scene in the tower, you can tell that he seriously doubts the side that he is on, and he is indeed not a killer.  But he lets his fear for his life and his family cloud that and believes that he has no way out.  So, in the sense, I feel sorry for him.
Favorite Quotes:
  • "It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
  • "Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
  • "It was, he thought, the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high. Some people, perhaps, would say that there was little to choose between the two ways, but Dumbledore knew - and so do I, thought Harry, with a rush of fierce pride, and so did my parents - that there was all the difference in the world."

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...