Saturday, June 25, 2011

REVIEW: Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix

book cover of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Title: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Author: J. K. Rowling
Date Published: 2003
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Page Count: 870 pages
Challenge: None

Wow, I realized as I started reading this, that there was so much that I didn't remember from reading this book the first time.  Granted, it was 2003 when I read it last, so it has been quite a while! For example, I made the comment in my review for The Prisoner of Azkaban that I was sad that we wouldn't see Lupin again.  How wrong I was.  But, that's what happens when you read something so long ago.
As far as this book is concerned, I'm not really sure where it stands in order of favorites.  Its somewhere in the middle I think.  I can appreciate the fact that Rowling is really taking us through the characters growing up and changing, but Harry's angst and yelling at everyone all the time was a little hard to take at times.  But, I still love the characters.  So, lets get to favorite and no so favorite parts!  Oh, also, if for whatever reason, you haven't read this series, don't read any farther, there are spoilers!

Favorite Parts:

  • Dumbledore.  I will forever love him, but I think that this book made me appreciate him even more.  After Harry looses Sirius and they're having the conversation in his office, it made you realize how caring and human he is and how much he loves Harry.
  • "Weasley is our King!"  Okay, I love Ron, like everyone else, but no one can tell me that this was not funny.
  • Fred and George.  In this book, we really see the brilliance of these two.  From the concoctions they make to help students skip classes to the enormous swamp they make in the hall, these two are outrageously funny.  However, I think the best part was the fireworks scene.  And after they made the swamp and they left the school.  There were pretty badass :]
  • Even though the exchanges between Harry and Cho were super awkward, some of them were really cute and made me rememeber being 15 (even though that wasn't THAT long ago).
  • The lessons with Snape.  Snape is such a jerk, but these scenes are pretty intense and actually very important.


Not So Favorite Parts

    book cover of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix UK cover
  • Sirius.  Need I say more?  That was worse than Cedric dying in Book 4.  Harry finally has someone that he feels like is family, someone that knew the parents that he never knew and his time was cut incredibly short.  When Harry finds the two way mirror at the end, and tried to use it, my heart broke.  And my heart broke when he yelled at Dumbledore in his office and was breaking things.  Rowling did a wonderful job expressing his grief in this.
  • Umbridge.  I do not remember hating a character more that I hate her.  Of course, we're supposed to hate her, but I had to point this out.  This woman isn't just a bitch, she's a power hungry evil woman.  She may say that she's opposed to Voldemort because she works for the ministry, but even though she's not herself at the end, I expect that we might see her again.  But, maybe I'm wrong.
  • As previously mentioned, how whiny Harry is.
  • Of course, we hate Malfoy.  And I have a feeling that with his father being caught, things are going to get a little more intense between the two adversaries. 


Favorite Quotes

  • "You do care," said Dumbledore. He had not flinched or made a single move to stop Harry demolishing his office. His expression was calm, almost detached. "You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it."
  • "Youth can not know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young." 
  • "You should write a book," Ron told Hermione as he cut up his potatoes, "translating mad things girls do so boys can understand them." 
  • "The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." 
  • "You do not seek to kill me, Dumbledore?" called Voldemort ... "Above such brutality, are you?"    "We both know that there are other ways of destroying a man, Tom," Dumbledore said calmly ... "Merely taking your life would not satisfy me, I admit-"    "There is nothing worse than death, Dumbledore! ...    "You are quite wrong ... Indeed, your failure to understand that there are things worse than death has always been your greatest weakness..." 


Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...