Friday, June 3, 2011

REVIEW: Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling

book cover of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Author: J. K. Rowling
Date Published: October 1998
Genre: Young Adult
Page Count: 304 pages
Challenge: None

One of the things that I'm setting out to do in the next month or so is to get through the entire Harry Potter series in print and then move on to the film versions, since the final film is rapidly approaching its release date
Considering the fact that this is one of the most popular book (and film) series of all time, this isn't really a review.  This is more or less just my thoughts on this book, some of the things that I liked, and didn't like.

Some of the things that I liked:

  • Hagrid's pink umbrella.  Its been so long since I've read the books, I had completely forgotten about it.  Imagining a man that big with a pink umbrella is pretty comical.
  • The boa constrictor at the zoo.  I love how he just decided that he was going to head out to Brazil.
  • Dumbledore.  I really just love his entire character.  And I really loved him when he went to Harry when he found the mirror.
  • The letters.  At the very beginning when the house is being overrun with letters and Mr. Dursley is about to lose his mind.  I just found it so funny, I could just see his fat face turning purple.
  • The sorting hat.  I love the song that he sings and I loved the dialog with Harry's thoughts and the sorting hat.  It of course sets you up for what we learn about Harry and what he will be.
Some of the things that I didn't like:
  • Hermione.  Now, I can say that in later books, I really like her, but the first book, how can you like her?  Of course you feel bad because she has so few friends, but if she wasn't such a know it all, that wouldn't be a problem, now would it?  By the end, when she figured out Snape's step of the way to the stone, I did like her.  At the beginning, no.
  • Malfoy is a shit.  He will forever be a shit.  And I'm sure everyone saw that one coming.
  • ....That's it.  I think I liked everything else.
Some of my favorite quotes from the book:
  • "It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that," - Dumbledore
  • "It takes much bravery to stand up to our enemies but we need as much bravery to stand up to our friends."  - Dumbledore
  • "I tell you, that dragon's the most horrible animal I've ever met, but the way Hagrid goes on about it, you'd think it was a fluffy little bunny rabbit." - Snape
  • "The Potters smiled and waved at Harry and he stared hungrily back at them, his hands pressed flat against the glass as though he was hoping to fall right through it and reach them. He had a powerful kind of ache inside of him, half joy, half terrible sadness." - Rowling 
So, I loved this book.  I can't say which was my favorite in the series yet, as I haven't read them yet, but I'll post a wrap up after all of them are finished :]


Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...