Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Ending of an Era.

As I was going through my reader last night, I saw a lot of posts about bloggers summing up their feelings about the Harry Potter series.  As everyone on earth knows, the final movie is being released at Midnight on Friday.

When the books first began to be released, and when the pandemonium began, I was not one of the kids that was immediately drawn in.  I don't know if I just thought I was too cool or what, but I was just not interested.  And then one day my mom picked it up from the store and brought it home for me, knowing that I needed something else to read, and not knowing that I had said I wasn't interested.  At that point, I figured, what the hell, why not?
After the first book, I was hooked.  I grabbed the second immediately, and the third soon after that.  I got through the fourth and fifth book, sometime in high school and then I just stopped reading.  I stopped reading period.  However, when I actually started reading again, Harry Potter wasn't the first thing I picked up and it wasn't until 2 weeks ago that I finished the series.

I think I got a lot out of this series, even though I didn't really grow up with it like many other fans did.  Rowling created an amazing world, and even as a 22 year old, about to graduate college, I was drawn in and taught things by Albus Dumbledore that no one else has taught me, and I know that this is going to forever be a favorite series of mine that will transcend to my children as well.  In fact, my best friend are already talking about when we're going to introduce Harry to her, as of yet, unborn son, my godson.

It really is the end of an era, in literature and in movies.  We've read the books, we've seen the movies, and we even have the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando.  Harry is all grown up, with his own family, and all is well.  And though it makes me so sad that its already over, I'm so grateful to Jo Rowling for having the courage to write and publish this series.  Every time I see the trailer it makes me a little more sad.  However, I'm glad because this is something that I'll be able to share with my children and glad that she has probably paved the way for man more writers.

A lot of people are marking this as the end of their childhood, but I don't see it so.  You can still visit Hogwarts and Harry anytime you like, you just have to still believe in the magic <3

1 comment:

alitareads said...

I wasn't one of the kids who was immediately drawn into the series, either. I didn't read the first book until my second year of collage and that was only because my roommate talked me into it. Even then, I just thought it was okay and had no intention of continuing the series. However, the following year I got really sick around Christmas and lost my voice for two weeks. With nothing else to do, I picked up my sister's copy of book one and in those two weeks read the first four books. Needless to say, I was hooked after that.

I'm going to see the final movie tonight and I know I'm going to bawl my eyes out about it being all over, but you're right. The books will still be there to read and to welcome us back to Hogwarts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...