Thursday, July 7, 2011

Movie Review: Interview with a Vampire

Interview with a Vampire movie poster
Title: Interview With a Vampire
Release Date: November 11, 1994 (USA)
Run Time: 2 hours and 3 minutes
Genre: Horror
Rating: B+

I saw this movie once, sometime in middle school, but I thought that I would take the time to watch it again, since I didn't remember most of it to begin with.  And especially since I may begin reading Anne Rice's book series at some point in the future.

Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt as vampires?  To be honest, this threw me off just a little bit.  I couldn't picture either of them in their rolls.  I was pleasantly surprised, especially by Mr. Cruise.
The plot to this movie begins with Louis (Pitt) agreeing to meet a journalist to tell his story.  Louis is from Louisiana and suffers the loss of his wife and child.  He wants to die, and comes upon Lestat.  The vampire Lestat (Cruise) is very commanding and quite ruthless, and Cruise did a wonderful job in this roll.  He takes Louis under his wing, intending to make him a protege, but he cannot provide the answers that Louis is so desperately looking for.

This movie is incredibly sexual, but obviously without the sex.  The act of feeding and blood letting is very sensual and seductive, especially since Lestat's choice of victims are usually beautiful women.
But the movie is not only about that, as Louis continually struggles with his soul, and how he feels about his immortality, as well as how he feels about taking people's lives.

This movie is horrifying in certain ways, but is definitely entertaining.  Its long, but I enjoyed it.  Since I haven't read the novel it is based from, I can make no comparison, but since I know Rice helped with the screenplay, it may be worth watching.  It is definitely worth watching by anyone who enjoys vampire movies.  So, I give this movie a B+.

If you'd like to look into buying this movie, or renting it instantly, visit Amazon.com!  Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...