Saturday, July 2, 2011

REVIEW: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows

book cover of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Author: J. K. Rowling
Date Published: July 2007
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Page Count: 759 pages
Challenge: None

Well, I have to say that now that it is finally over for me, I'm sad.  This is by far one of the best series that I have ever read, and those that don't like it, they have to be completely insane!  This was a roller coaster.  We went from adorable little kids, the whiny pre-teens and finally to adults that carried the fate of so many people, and triumphed in the end.  I think it was beautifully written.  I know that there are some people that hated how it was all wrapped up into a neat little bow at the end, but I loved it.  I loved how they all got married, had children and such.  It was just wonderful.  Anyway, here are my favorite and least favorite parts of this final book.  Once again, **If you haven't read this series, don't read any further, there are spoilers!**


Favorite Parts:
  • Oh my.  There were so many things that I loved about this book.  I thought it was a brilliant ending the the series.  But, let's see if I can't pick out a few favorite things:
  • When they go to leave, and Dudley actually says something semi-nice?!  Whoever thought that would happen!
  • The beginning, with Bill and Fleur's wedding.  I thought that was wonderful, up until the very end of course.
  • The fact that Tonks and Lupin got married was one of my favorite things.  What I liked even more was when their baby was born and he asked Harry to be godfather.  
  • Snape.  Snape, Snape, Snape.  This completely shocked me.  I kept hearing that there was much more to Snape than anyone knew, but this was incredible.  He showed so much hate to Harry, but in reality was fighting to keep him safe.  And though we thought him to be terrible, he wasn't.  I had a lot of respect for him by the end.  And, as he's dying, the last thing he says is "Look at me," so he can see Lily's eyes.
  • When Mrs. Weasley kills Bellatrix.  "Not my daughter, you bitch!"  I laughed out loud.
  • The battle scenes that take place, and all of Hogwarts has taken arms against the death eaters.  The coats of armor  the house elves,  everyone.  It really shows you how many people love the school and thought of it as a second home.
  • The ending, 19 years later.  I loved it.  I loved the things that they named the children, I love the Harry and Ginny got married.  Albus Severus isn't a fantastic name, but I think it was completely appropriate under the circumstances.
  • I could seriously go on and on about the things that I loved in this book, since I loved the entire thing, but I won't.  Just read it, and if you've already read it, read it again!
Not so Favorite Parts:
book cover of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows UK cover
  • There was just so much death.  Fred dies, Tonks and Lupin both die, its just so upsetting to me.  Of course, you know there are going to be casualties, but it doesn't make it any less sad.
  • Griphook.  I think he was my least favorite character in the book.  Him and Bellatrix. 
Favorite Quotes:
  • "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
  • "Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love." 
  • "We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving." 
  • "Albus Severus," Harry said quietly, so that nobody but Ginny could hear, and she was tactful enough to pretend to be waving to Rose, who was now on the train, "you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew." 
  • "I'm going to keep going until I succeed — or die. Don't think I don't know how this might end. I've known it for years." 
  • "It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well." 
  • "Hogwarts was the first and best home he had known. He and Voldemort and Snape, the abandoned boys, had all found home here. " 
  • "Finally, the truth. Lying with his face pressed into the dusty carpet of the office where he had once thought he was learning the secrets of victory, Harry understood at last that he was not supposed to survive." 
  • "The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well." 

All in all, please read this series!  Its a phenomenal series that I think all children and adults should experience.  For those who have seen the movies, I'm sure they're good, but I bet its all so much better in print.  Go buy them, check them out from the library, do what you have to do, but read them.

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com   Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)

1 comment:

alitareads said...

Fred's death is just too sad, so I've kind of blocked it out and pretended it doesn't happen. Denial is always the best way to handle these things ;)

So glad you loved the book and the series! It's by far my favourite series ever, especially since it's holds up for re-reads.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...