Wednesday, July 6, 2011

REVIEW: The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis.

book cover of The Magician's Nephew by C. S. LewisTitle: The Magician's Nephew
Author: C. S. Lewis
Date Published: Origianlly published in 1955
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Page Count: 202 pages
Challenge: E-Book Challenge

This is probably one of my favorite series of all time.  This is one of the series that really kindled my love for reading and helped it grow.  I've read this entire series I can't even tell you how many times but its been a few years since I've read it.  Reading Harry Potter made me remember it and I wanted to read it again.

I think most people have read at least the second book in the series, Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but this is the story of where it all began.  This story tells how Narnia came into being and what rolls two young children Diggory and Polly had to play in it.  Of course, there's terrible uncle Andrew who helps them find their way into Narnia to begin with.  He's a self-important jackass of a man and he was probably my least favorite part of this whole book.  This is also our first introduction to Jadis, otherwise known as the White Witch.  She takes many forms throughout the series, all terrible.

If you don't read Christian fiction, this might not be something for you.  There are many Christian parallels though, which I didn't figure out until 8th grade or so, but it didn't make me love the books any less.  I generally don't read Christian fiction myself, but you can choose to look past that aspect and see it as a simple children's fantasy book, and the moral teachings that a put throughout the book and the series are worth it.

These books are such classics that of course, I give this one a 5 out of 5 stars.
On a side note, I continually see this listed at both the 1st in the series, and the 6th in the series.  Can anyone tell me which one it officially is and why it is listed that way?  It makes sense for it to be the first...


Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  The Magician's Nephew

4 comments:

Alison said...

I still kick myself that I haven't finished these books. I've read the Lion book and one other (I forget). I liked them both but just never got around to the others.

alitareads said...

I read these books for the very first time 6-ish years ago, and I do not remember The Magician's Nephew one big. Might be time for a re-read!

alitareads said...

I read these books for the very first time 6-ish years ago, and I do not remember The Magician's Nephew one big. Might be time for a re-read!

Alison said...

I still kick myself that I haven't finished these books. I've read the Lion book and one other (I forget). I liked them both but just never got around to the others.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...