Saturday, July 30, 2011

REVIEW: Synarchy Book 1: The Awakening

book cover of Synarchy Book 1: The Awakening by DCS
Title: Synarchy Book 1: The Awakening
Author: DCS
Date Published: May 22, 2008
Genre: Science Fiction, Fantasy
Page Count: 220 pages
Challenge: E-Book Challenge

**I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review**

So when I sat down to write this review, I knew that I needed to write some sort or summary.  This is incredibly hard because the plot is so intricate that you can't explain it in just a few sentences.  But I'll try my hardest.

The Terenzio's are a family, something like a mob family that have widespread power and influence throughout the country.  They monitor everyone on their island and everything.  The patriarch of the family is dying, and his heirs, his triplet grandchildren are preparing to take the reins.  This family doesn't deal so much with traditional mob related things, like drugs and money laundering.  They're in a fight with beings from another world, and family is pitted against family in order to stop The Ascension.

Like I previously said, this plot is so intricate.  At the beginning you're just thrown into this family and you're left guessing.  Things are gradually explained.  There's a vast plot of characters, so you really have to pay attention to make sure you have who is who straight, especially since they're all related.
One of the things like I liked about this book was the dialog.  So many times when you read books, you think when two characters are talking to each other, "People don't really talk like that, ESPECIALLY not in this situation."  I didn't feel that way from that book at all.  Despite the fact that they were from a wealthy mob family, they were easy to relate to and very three dimensional.

One of the things that I didn't like so much was that it really felt like there was no climax.  It was a relatively short read.  There is a sequel, but as of now, nothing is resolved and it was just all leading up to the bigger plot.  So of course, it makes me want to immediately read the second book, but I felt no real gratification from reading this.  Despite that, it was still a really good book.

When the author approached me to ask em to review this, it was described as "the Godfather meets Stargate" and I can safely say that is actually the sort of feeling that I got from this book.  If you like books where you don't have to think about things much, this is not the book for you.  If you like a good science fiction novel that includes heaps of conspiracy, then please pick this up!

I'm eager to read the second book in this series.  Like I said, anyone who loves a good science fiction read, pick this up!  I give it a solid 4 out of 5 stars!   

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  Synarchy: Book 1: The Awakening

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...