Thursday, July 28, 2011

REVIEW: Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

book cover of Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Title: Treasure Island
Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Date Published: First published in 1881
Genre: Classic Literature
Page Count: 254 pages
Challenge: E-Book Challenge


Brief Summary: Come take a voyage with Jim Hawkins on his way to an island with buried treasure. Hawkins family owned a tavern in town, when an old pirate, Billy Bones comes to stay. He later dies and young Hawkins and his mother accidentally come across a treasure map. They set out immediately to find the island and the treasure. They recruit all sorts of men, including Long John Silver, a cook for the ship. But the men find out that their crew may be against them and after they land all hell breaks loose. Adventure awaits you on your trip to Treasure Island!

My thoughts: I made that sound SO much more exciting than it really was.  Like 20 times more exciting.  I expected something completely different than what this was.  Come on, it's about pirates, right?  No, not really.  Maybe it was the language that it was written in.  It was published in the 1800's.  Regardless, I really struggled through this read.  And I almost feel bad about it, because everyone in the world seems to like this book.  I will say that I thought that Stevenson did an awesome job with the accents of the pirates.  I could imagine them perfectly.

While I didn't really enjoy this book, it seems to be a popular read among parents with school age children.  Its a short read, making it perfect for reading out loud with kids, though for the younger ones, some things might go over their heads since there's quite a bit of technical terms with the ship and such.  So, that being said, I recommend this for anyone wanting something to read with their children, anyone who likes classic literature and anyone that like pirates.
But, my personal rating for this is a 2.5 out of 5.

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com   Treasure Island 

2 comments:

Debnance at Readerbuzz said...

There are lots of books considered by many to be children's books that really don't seem like children's books. IMHO!

sleighanne said...

I can definitely agree with you here! A lot of people think of this as a children's book. I guess you could read it with your kids, and though I recommended it as that, I wouldn't really want to read it to my kids. Just my thoughts though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...