Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Series Reflection: The Chronicles of Narnia

C. S. Lewis
One of the very first series that I remember reading when I was young was always the Chronicles of Narnia.
My mother always read when she was younger, so that was one of the books from her childhood that she was able to share with me.  I think I read Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe about 6 times before I realized that there were others in the series.  And like my mother, when we got the rest of the series, it quickly became one of my favorites.

There are a lot of people who don't like this series.  Some people have opted to watch the movies, other people avoid it altogether.  I think it has a lot to do with the Christian undertones that run throughout the series.  Honestly, how can you sidestep that Aslan is supposed to be God and he is teaching the people that come in and out of Narnia great lessons?
I'm not a religious person, I never really have been.  My family isn't religious either.  I wasn't raised in a church, and my mother never made me go to church with family members and such.  However, I still read these books, and they were wonderful.  In my opinion, reading them as a child, unless you have someone point it out to you, you would never really equate Aslan with God.  You just see him as this amazing lion that pulls people from other worlds to go on amazing adventures.  He teaches people lessons along the way, but they're not religious lessons.  They're about treating people right and doing things that are expected of you, to have courage and to stand up for what you believe in.

This will definitely forever be a favorite series.  And for anyone that is considering not reading these because of the religious tones, or not reading them to your children because of it, I beg you to reconsider.  They're wonderful stories, and adventures and lovable characters.  Who doesn't want to read about talking animals that are larger than life with personalities to match?  

Maybe it won't be for you, but these are wonderful book, classics, that I don't think any child or adult should be deprived of.  Come have an adventure in Narnia, its spectacular, I promise :]


And just because it's super fun, listen to the song Lazy Sunday, by The Lonely Island.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...