Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Movie Review: True Grit (2010)

True Grit movie posterTitle: True Grit
Release Date: December 22, 2010 (USA)
Run Time: 1 hour and 50 minutes
Genre: Adventure, Western
Rating: A

Generally, I am a horror movie fanatic.  Those are the kinds of movies that I like to watch.  Every once in a while, I'll watch a drama or something along those lines.  I tend to stay away from movies that will make me cry. I was looking for something to watch desperately and came across this on OnDemand.  I'd heard good things about it, so I said hey, why not.  I am SO glad I did!

14 year old Mattie Ross (Hallie Steinfeld) is on the hunt for Tom Chaney (Josh Brolin), the man that killed her father.  She decides that she is going to hire a Marshall, Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges) to help her.  She is bound and determined to get her way, so they set out into Indian Territory to find her father's killer.

I have a tendency to get restless during movies, especially if nothing is happening.  I will admit that some people might think this movie boring because of the traveling scenes, but I didn't find it so.  The greatest thing about this movie was the characters.  It was the characters that carried me through the traveling scenes and by the end of the 2 hours, it didn't even feel like it had been that long.  There is not a person in the world who could have played Rooster Cogburn in better in this movie than Jeff Bridges.  He was perfect.  And though he was supposed to be portrayed as this mean older man, you can't help but love him.
Hallie Steinfeld was also phenomenal in this movie.  Her character Mattie is a straight talking, incredibly smart child especially considering the time period.  You really admire the way that she takes charge of the situation that she's in.  There are moments that you can tell that she's completely out of her element, but that just adds to the believably of her character.  In my opinion, she should have won the Oscar that she was nominated for.

There were a lot of people that thought since this was a remake of an old John Wayne movie, that it wouldn't be good at all.  I've never seen the original, but this version is definitely worth watching.  I normally don't give movies A ratings, but this one deserves it!  Watch this movie, even if its not a movie you would typically watch!  You probably won't regret it.

Want to watch True Grit?  Go to Amazon.com to buy it on DVD or you can even rent it instantly on your computer!

1 comment:

jeannette bruce said...

I thought this was an awesome movie, too. I really wanted to see Hailee Steinfeld play Katniss, but I'm sure Jennifer Lawrence will do us proud. Have you read Blood Red Road by Moira Young? I was often reminded of this movie while reading it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...