Monday, August 29, 2011

REVIEW: The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie

book cover of The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie
Title: The Moving Finger
Author: Agatha Christie
Date Published: Originally published in 1943
Genre: Mystery
Page Count: 320 pages
Challenge: None

I've read Agatha Christie before, and she truly is the queen of mystery.  She has so many different books, but this was the first Miss Marple book I had ever read.  I was definitely not disappointed.

This book was told from their perspective of Jerry Burton, who has rented a house in Lymstock so he can recover from an accident.  The town suddenly starts receiving poison pen letters and a town resident kills herself.  Everyone accepts the doctor's ruling of suicide, but Miss Marple isn't so easily fooled.

This is one of Christie's lesser known mysteries, but I think that it is just as good.  Some people may see it as moving just a little slow, but I think that's only because you spend a lot of time getting to know the characters.  You get to know them and you decide who you love and who you hate and who you hope did it or who you hope didn't.  Either way, you never really see the end coming and it keeps you guessing through the whole book.  Christie masterfully throws suspicion around from one character to the next leaving you with no idea who the culprit might be.

This being my first Miss Marple mystery I didn't really know what to expect.  She didn't come in until close to the end but I kind of liked how she just swooped in at the end and we saw the story unfold through someone else's eyes.

I really liked this book and I think it was a good introduction to Miss Marple.  I can't wait to read more and I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars!

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com     The Moving Finger

2 comments:

The Lit Bitch said...

Sounds like an interesting book/series!! I don't know much about Agatha Christie or the Miss Marple series....is this book one of a chronological series or more like a continuos character in various stories? I guess I'm wondering if one has to read them in order for them to make sense or if you could pick up just one and read it etc. Make sense? At any rate, it sounds good I'll have to add it to my 'to read' for sure :)

sleighanne said...

I know that there's several books in the series and I know that they're numbered but I don't think you need to read them on order. Well, I haven't anyway! I think that the only reason for reading it in order is that sometimes there are references to earlier mysteries in the later books. But pick up whichever one seems interesting to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...