Thursday, August 11, 2011

REVIEW: White Cat by Holly Black

book cover of White Cat by Holly BackTitle: White Cat (The Curse Workers #1)
Author: Holly Black
Date Published: May 2010
Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy, YA
Page Count: 310 pages (400 minutes on audio)
Challenge: None

This was actually my very first audiobook.  I know so many bloggers love them, and I just had not had the opportunity to listen to one.  Until I was pointed in the direction of this website by Ashley at Smash Attack Reads that let me download this audiobook for free!
I have no idea why I waited so long to try audiobooks.  It was awesome because I could leave it playing through my stereo while I did various things throughout the house.  So I really was doing 2 things at once.

The book was narrated by Jessie Eisenberg (The Social Network and various other movies) and I was a little nervous about that, because I thought that his voice would severely get on my nerves.  However, I really liked it. Since the book was written in first person by a teenage boy, it fit.

Cassel Sharpe comes from a family of Curse Workers.  These are people who can change your luck and emotions and your memories, as well as some even more serious things.  However, he's the only one of his family that isn't a Curse Worker..  All he wants to do is disappear and go to school with normal kids who have no idea where he comes from.  And for the most part he really is a normal kid...oh, unless you count how he killed his best friend 4 years ago.  But no one knows that except his family.
Suddenly, he's not so normal anymore when he begins sleepwalking, which prompts his removal from school.  Being away from school and surrounded by his family again, he begins to notice things.  Things that may mean that Lila may not be dead after all.

I really liked this book.  I had never heard of this sbook or its author until I downloaded the audiobook.  A lot of this book is about memories, and how false they can be sometimes.  I also love the entire concept of the book.  Curse Workers.  People that can alter your memories, your luck, or even kill you just with the touch of their hand.  Curse working is illegal, and people must walk around with gloved hands all the time.  That concept was pretty original and I really liked it.
I also really liked Cassel.  He has tried so hard to be normal, but he end up becoming a con man.  A very good con man at that.  Since the story is told in first person, we discover these things about his family with him and are given a very personal look inside his head and his heart, which was something that I really liked.
There were parts of this that were pretty predicatable, but I'm usually really good at predicting things in books and movies, so other people may not get that from this book.

Overall, I really liked this book.  Its the first book in the Curse Workers series and I can't wait to read the second one!  I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars!



Think you might want to give this book a try?  Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com White Cat (Curse Workers)

4 comments:

jeannette bruce said...

I'm listening to this one right now. I got it the same way you did. :) I've already read the book, which I loved, and so I thought I'd give the audio w/ Jesse Eisenberg a chance. He's not bad. I wish his voice varied more for different characters, but it's not bad.

Smash Attack said...

Glad to hear the audio version worked. Thanks for the review. I need to get this one goin!

sleighanne said...

I thought the exact same thing. He gives like little accents, but it doesn't really vary. I thought he did a decent job though!

sleighanne said...

You should! The beginning is a little bland, but it gets good! :]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...