Friday, August 5, 2011

TGIF: Taking it Personal

TGIF is hosted by GReads.  She posts a question, you answer and then link your post.  Its an awesome way to connect with other bloggers.  Sounds like fun?  Hop on over to GReads' blog and look for the latest TGIF post. You can also find future questions :]






Taking it Personal: Which books have effected you on a personal level and lingered in your mind long after you closed the pages?


In reading this question, I can already think of a bunch of books that I will probably read in other posts, but they're all books I've never read.  A lot of them will probably be about serious issues, but I think I'm going to go in a different direction.
This is a hard question for me because there are so many different books that I really loved and I always find that those stick with me for a long time.  I always think about those characters and what they mean to me.  Two that come to mind immediately is The Witch of Cologne (my review) and The Passion of Artemisia: A Novel.
I'm not a feminist by any means, but when I read, I love strong female characters.  Let's be honest, there is still a lot of inequality between men and women, especially in the workplace.


The Witch of Cologne follows Ruth, a midwife, and also a Jew in 17th century Germania.  She goes through great lengths to get an education, including running away and posing as a boy.  She is prosecuted as a witch as well.  Ruth is a woman who never gave up and overcame everything to do exactly what she wanted.  She lost a lot in the process, but she gained so much more.  For this reason, I admire her character and this book is one that I tend to remember well.


The Passion of Artemisia: A Novel, is another one of those books.  This book follows painter Artemisia Gentileschi and her painting of 'Judith'.  Like Ruth, Artemesia has many traumatic experiences at the hands of men, but she becomes the painter that she always wanted to be, despite her hardships.


I'm sure that by reading the two descriptions of these novels, you can think of a million others that follow the same type of story.  These two books stand out to me as strong women, women with qualities that I wish I could emulate.  If you haven't read either of these books, I highly suggest you do!  You can click the titles and be taken to the Amazon.com pages to read the full description, reviews and purchase the books.

1 comment:

jeannette bruce said...

Hmmm...I've never heard of those, but I will have to check them out. I like your reasoning. I love a strong female heroine, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...