Sunday, September 11, 2011

REVIEW: That Day in September by Artie Van Why

book cover of That Day in September by Artie Van Why
Title: That Day in September
Author: Artie Van Way
Date Published: June 2006
Genre: Memoir
Page Count: 108 pages
Challenge: E-Book Challenge
Rating: 5 out of 5. A Must Read.
**I recieved this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.**




"And to honor those that are gone, I will not forget to live."

Memoirs and non-fiction are genres that I typically don't read.  However, when this review request came into my inbox, I knew that it was something that I wanted to accept.  It has been over a week since I've finished this book and I'm just now sitting to wrote down this review.  I still don't have the right words to describe how this made me feel.  I'm going to try, so just bear with me.

Everyone remembers where they were September 11, 2001 when so many American's lost their lives.  It was one of the greatest tragedies our country has ever seen, and we continue to mourn for those that were lost, even as the 10th anniversary approaches.
Van Why's book is about his personal experiences on that day and the days that followed  He worked in the building right across the street.  He was there during the tragedy and during the rebuild.

I don't usually get emotional about things, or about books.  But this book hit me so very hard.  When these attacks happened, I was in 8th grade.  I didn't fully understand the loss that our country had suffered and it wasn't until I got older that I began to.  I have avoided watching footage, reading things about it, because it makes me so very sad.  This book really helped me to understand what people went through that day.  Never before had I read a first hand account of a survivor of that day, and never before have I cried so much while I was reading a book.
When you're reading a work of fiction, you can sympathize with the characters, you can get to like or love them and you can think "Wow, that would be crazy if that happened to someone."  This did happen to someone.  And reading Artie's personal experiences just made it super emotional for me.

As I sit back and read what I've written thus far, I know I can't do it justice.  I can just tell you that you should read it.  It's a short read, you could probably read it in one sitting, but I promise that you won't forget it that quickly.  I think this is a must read.  I'd like to thank Artie again for contacting me to review this book, and thank him for having the courage to write it.

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  That Day on September

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...