Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Sunday Salon (20)

I've been pretty spotty with my Sunday Salon posts lately.  Sunday has been the day that I use to sort of catch up on a little bit of everything, so I just haven't posted lately, so sorry for that :[  But I have been reading everyone else's posts, even if I haven't been doing much commenting.

On the reading front, I'm currently trying to read 3 books at once.  I'm working my way through Gone With the Wind still, and I can do that at a relatively slow pace, so that's not really a problem for me.  However, I did request a book from NetGalley.com and I was approved, which was exciting because a lot of publishers are really picky about who they approve.  Some of the publishers, you have to be a 'big time' blogger in order to be approved.  Anyway, I started reading it then day I was approved.  Not very far on that one though because I have another one that I have a deadline for.
One of my friends invited me to a book club on Facebook and I though, okay, this is neat because most of the people that I talk to about books are on Twitter and different blogs.  We're reading Devil in the White City this month, and we're meeting tonight at this place in downtown Augusta for desserts and discussion.  I'm pretty excited about it.  But I was way behind as of yesterday and I had to be at page 205, and I have about 40 pages to get there, which I can easily do before tonight.  But that's about all I'm reading.

Other things about reading, I'm putting myself on a book ban.  I've gotten really bad about buying books and waiting forever to read them and I have 34 books on my shelves right now that have to be read and that is not counting all of the ebooks that I have.  If I added in that number, it would be terrible.  So, I'm going to spend the rest of the year working my way through my own books.  I'll probably allow some review requests in there and I'll probably request a few things from NetGalley, to kind build myself up there.  Other than that I'm not going to be buying books.  When I get through 10 books on my shelf, I'll allow myself to buy TWO, until I'm finished with all 34, then I'll take myself off the ban.  This will probably last until next year and this also means that my In My Mailbox posts are going to suck hardcore, but I can live with that.

A cold front is moving through the south and it is beautiful!  We've had the windows open and its felt amazing.  It was 63 degrees yesterday and as awful as this summer was, this is so welcome.  It's supposed to be nice this coming week too, so I might spend some time outside if I'm not backed up with schoolwork.  But I've been doing a pretty good job of staying on top of things, so I think I'll be okay.

On a much more serious note, I need to ask a favor of my blog followers.  I got a phone call from my very best friend yesterday afternoon.  She was on her way back from the doctor.  She is 20 years old and she just had a baby, he's not even 2 months old yet.  When she was pregnant, they discovered she had the beginnings of cervical cancer, and started treatment after the baby was born.  However, they discovered at her treatment that she has progressed into stage 2.  She goes in Tuesday for a biopsy and from there they will decide what her options are.
Please add her to your prayer lists!  If you don't pray, just send positive vibes her way.  This is devastating for her, because the possibility is very real that she may have to have a hysterectomy at 20 years old.  My heart breaks for her, she's like family and we've been close since high school.  So please keep her in your thoughts, the more thoughts the better!

And now to get away from that serious note, because it makes me sad, and I will say that I hope that everyone is having a fantastic Sunday.  But to backtrack a little, answer me this, have you ever participated in a book ban and if you have, how well did you stick to it?

8 comments:

Unfinished Person said...

First, sending prayers your friend's way.

Second, I've participated in a book-buying ban, usually involuntarily because I don't have money to buy books. :( I've been there on that ban for a while, but it has given me time to focus on my own books.

Christina said...

Of course I will keep your friend in my thoughts! That's a terrifying thing to go through at this age! Sending her good vibes.

I haven't tried out NetGallery. I looked into it but I'm kind of afraid that no publisher would approve me. I'm not a big time blogger and I get very few review request as is.

To answer your question, I've never participated in an official book ban before. My mom always raised me to get my books from the library. She's not really into buying books. (Her reasoning is that she will never read every book the library has so why bother buying her own.) But weight restrictions on luggage certainly keep my purchases in check.

LeighannesLit said...

Thank you!

Typically when I have bans, its because I can't afford it too, but I've become one of the world's best bargain shoppers, which just adds to my problems because I feel like if its THAT cheap, I should get it haha

LeighannesLit said...

Thank you so much!

I don't get many requests either. If you look at the page and browse by publisher, the ones that actually have standards for approval with have a link to tell you what those standards are. Other than that, I don't think most of them are picky, as long as you review in a timely manner.
But check this blog post out and that should give you more of an idea on how things work :]

I need to make friends with my library again, but I need to get my TBR pile down before I do that!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I will definitely send positive vibes to your friend! I hope that she is successfully treated without drastic measures.

As for book buying bans...I'm terrible at them. I did buy fewer books this month, but it's more about my budget than anything else.

I recently bought Gone with the Wind so I could reread it. It's been ages since the first couple of times I read it. Yes, I read it more than once back then.

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and
MY WEBSITE

Cid Tyer said...

Praying for your friend! I can't do book bans. I have probably over 100 books on my physical TBR shelves and more yet in ebook. It's exhausting and a little daunting at times but it is what it is!

debnance said...

I've never had a successful book ban. I can't stop myself from acquiring books that may be brilliant.

Sending prayers for your friend.

My Sunday Salon is Quiet Before the Storm.

Alyce Reese said...

That is so sad about your friend - I hope she has good health news from here on out.

I haven't participated in a book ban, and my shelves keep getting more crowded with unread books due to paperbackswap and bookmooch. I haven't counted in a while, but last time I checked I had about 500 unread books. I justify it mentally by thinking, "If anything ever happened to our library I'd be set at least for a few years." :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...