Monday, September 19, 2011

This Week's Read (14)

Alright, so I've been pretty slack with these reading updates.  But since I'm reading several new books this week, I thought it would be a good idea to bring it back.

Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
This is actually the first true crime book that I have ever read.  I generally tend to stay away from nonfiction, most of the time it bores me.  To give you an idea of what it is about, it's about the Chicago World Fair of 1893 and the architects that built it.  I was unaware that at that time there was a ruthless killer that was praying on the young women in town.  This book alternates between the architects that are building the fair, and the information gathered about the killer.
I won't lie, I find myself reading through the chapters about the architects very quickly and hardly retaining any of what I've read with those.  It's interesting, but I have to say that I'm much more interested in Holmes, our killer.  He is a very, very interesting man.  I think that one of the reasons I want to get to his chapters so much is that I was completely unaware that this man ever existed.  So, for that reason, this book is very interesting.

The Sleepwalkers by J. Gabriel Gates
I got this book from NetGalley and started it the day I got it.  This is a young adult book, but it isn't paranormal romance or urban fantasy or anything like this, from the reviews that I have read, this is more of a straight up horror type book, which I LOVE, because I love horror.  Quite honestly I already get that vibe from it and I'm not even that far into it yet.
One thing that I like about it is that the main character is male, and in most of the young adult I've read lately, the main characters have been females.  That's not to say that there aren't plenty of male leads in books, I just haven't read those yet, so this is nice and refreshing for me.  Anyway, I'm enjoying it thusfar.

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
I won't post my thoughts on this here.  I'm in the middle of Chapter 36 right now, which means I have about 10 more chapters until I'm finished with Part 4.  When I start reading this I tend to get sucked in so hopefully I can get it finished BEFORE the discussion date and actually post my discussion on time!  We shall see!

So that's all I'm reading right now.


Have you read any of these books or are you reading any of them now? I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on them/discuss them with you. :]

2 comments:

Jillian said...

Yay Gone With the Wind!! My favorite novel. :-)

Smash Attack said...

Would you believe I've never read Gone With the Wind? I should rectify that someday...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...