Monday, October 31, 2011

Best of the Bunch: October 2011

Best of the Bunch is a monthly feature brought to you by Lyrical Reviews.  Basically you go through all of the books you read that month and decide which one was your favorite and let us all know why!  To find more information, visit Lyircal Reviews and if you participate, be sure to link up so we can all see what books you thought were fantastic!

This month, I actually had some duds in the pile, so this made my choice for Best of the Bunch a little easier, plus, I only read 8 books this month, which isn't very many.  Those that I liked though, made it hard because horror is one of my favorite genres, but this book really stood out to me.

book cover of Dead of Winter by Brian Moreland
Dead of Winter by Brian Moreland
This came to be on my TBR pile by a request for review sent to me by Brian.  I read the synopsis and thought that this would be perfect to read for October, so I accepted it, and I am so glad that I did!
To sum the book up in as little as possible, there is something stalking the villagers at Fort Pendleton in the wilderness of Canada.  But its not an animal and its much harder to kill than one.  So, we watch the villagers succumb to the horror while a group of the villagers try to stop the carnage.
This book has it all:  Native American superstition, Christian beliefs, fantastic characters, a beautiful setting, great plot action, dialogue, gore, and a creature so fantastically scary that you will dream about them, I promise.  I can promise you that because I did.  This book made me not want to sleep with my back to the door or turn the lights off.  Very rarely does a book do that to me!  So, thank you Brian for writing an awesome book.  I couldn't recommend it more highly!
You can read my full review of the book here.

Purchase this book:  Amazon Barnes and Noble  Book Depository
Follow Brian Moreland on Twitter!
Visit Brian Moreland's Official Website!

8 comments:

Shanella said...

It sounds like it was a perfect October book =D

Sally@Always Lost in Stories said...

I'm such a wuss I usually avoid scary books, but this one looks really good!

Shanon (Escaping With Fiction) said...

This sounds great! I love anything scary and gorey, so I'll definitely have to check this out. Thanks for sharing! =D
New follower. :)
-Shanon @ Escaping With Fiction

Shanon (Escaping With Fiction) said...

Sorry about the weird html situation above. Not sure what happened..... =P

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

LOL, no problem!
And if you love gore you should definitely check this out, its fantastic :]

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

A lot of people don't like them, but if you do, this is one that you want to pick up!

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

It really was!

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

Things never give me nightmares, but this one did! I LOVED it! :]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...