Monday, October 17, 2011

The Great Gone With the Wind Readalong - Part 5

Look at me, I'm actually on time to post this!  Shocking.  Honestly, I think the only reason that's the case is because I couldn't put it down and finished it the day after I finished part 4!  It was fantastic.  Anyway, on to the point.

**As always, this is full of spoilers!  If you haven't read this, stop reading, NOW!**
I'm going to skip the discussion prompts for this post and just talk about part 5 and my overall feeling towards the book.

My Overall Thoughts on Part 5
Like I said, I finished the book way early because I just couldn't put it down.  This section was intense, but then, every other section has been pretty tense as well.
There was even more death in this section and I was moved to tears a few times, actually.  Once again, Scarlett's world fall apart in more ways than one.  She finally has a home, children, a husband and she never has to worry about being hungry again, but she looses it all.
First, I just have to talk about that night.  When I read that part it, I just though, oh okay, wow, this is something that I didn't really expect to see.  It was a night of pretty intense passion for the two of them, that they're both ashamed of the next morning.  I saw on several write ups that some people equate it to rape.  I disagree.  it was very obvious that Scarlett enjoyed it.  She blushed the next morning, thinking about how a proper lady would never enjoy that.  She would have been scarred I think if it had been rape.  I think it was supposed to be a connection between the two of them, that could have turned into communication, but we know that obviously didn't happen.

Oh, Rhett.  I do love Rhett.  I hated how he was tortured by Scarlett.  It was obvious that he cared for her so deeply and she was so obsessed with Ashley, who really wasn't half the man that Rhett was.  When Scarlett miscarries and Melanie has to comfort Rhett, my heart just broke for him.  He was devastated about what he had done and was really coming to terms with the fact that Scarlett didn't love him like he loved her.  And the fact that he still had the presence of mind to not tell Melanie how Scarlett loved Ashley was pretty great on him.
Oh, and then when Bonnie died.  I had a feeling that something like that was going to happen.  I also thought it was not really fitting, but interesting how she died like Gerald did.  Scarlett was so terrible after Bonnie died, saying all those things to Rhett.  I felt so much worse for Rhett than I did Scarlett.  She never really liked her children much, even if Bonnie was her favorite.  I also think that she was jealous of Bonnie because of the amount of time that Rhett spent with her and how he gave into her.

Melanie's death hit me hard as well.  Scarlett couldn't stand Melanie through so much of the book but in her death, she could really appreciate her, especially after the scandal that almost broke out, but Melanie stood by her.  Of course Melanie's death brought on so many revelations for Scarlett, about her love for Melanie, about how Ashley wasn't what she had ever wanted, about how Rhett was everything and how she loved him, which by then all of this is too late.

The end got me.  The conversation between Rhett and Scarlett was interesting and his line "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn," is probably one of the best in the entire book.  I wanted Rhett to take her into his arms and for them to cry together and get over it and ride into the sunset, but it was too late.  Basically, the moral of the story was, the bigger bitch you are and the more selfish you are, you can forget about happiness.  Karma, really, because in the end, that's what happened to Scarlett.

Overall Thoughts on the Book
I couldn't believe that I waited so long to read this!  This book was so fantastic!  I was really intimidated by its size, but I'm glad that I read it and I'm glad that I participated in the readalong.
I really loved everything about this book.  Margaret Mitchell really wrote a masterpiece.  I would recount all of my favorite parts, but I think that I did that throughout all the posts for the readalong.
I think I can safely count this book as one of my favorites of all time, and that's pretty impressive!

8 comments:

Risa said...

I found this book incredibly amazing too!...I'm supposed to have read this as part of the read-along as well. But once I began it I couldn't put it down!

Two things from your review:

1) I, personally, do not feel derogatory towards Ashley. He was simply a different man than Rhett although, they actually had a great deal in common. I didn't feel over the top regarding Rhett. But I did find him a very interesting man, and liked how humane he was especially in comparison to Scarlett. Ashley, on the other hand, I felt terrible for. It must be awful to know how useless your are in a world you do not fit into. I don't think it's that Ashley was not man enough to survive this new world, but simply did not have the will to do so.

2) Somehow, I felt, the book ended on a rather positive note. I found myself turning the last page and thinking "she'll get him, all right. She's that determined!" :D

Risa

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

You mention the similarities between Rhett and Ashley, and I definitely do see them. And I did feel bad for Ashley, especially after he resigned to come work at the mill for Scarlett, since that was the very last thing that he wanted to do, and after that he really wasn't the same person. I just loved Rhett though! haha

I think that the way it ended, she could have very easily written a sequel (and I'm sure there are as many out there as there are variations of Jane Austen books), I just didn't expect it to end that way. And as determined as she is, Rhett is pretty stubborn so I think that would be interesting to watch play out.

Diane La Rue said...

So glad you liked GWTW! I enjoyed reading your perspective on each of the parts. There was an authorized sequel to the book, "Scarlett" by Alexandra Ripley that, while no where near as good as the original, is something you may want to read.

Jillian said...

I'm so excited you count this as a favorite!! You know that Mitchell wrote the whole novel around that final conversation, right? She wrote that, then wrote the rest of the novel to give it a story. :-)

Jillian said...

There are actually only two sequels right now -- Scarlett and Rhett Butler's People. There's also one unauthorized twist on the story: The Wind Done Gone. Gone With the Wind will still be protected by copyright until 2021 (I think.) I really, really hope it isn't infiltrated by vampires and zombies, after that. It'd be a real shame. :-(

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

I actually saw Scarlett at my local books a million for somewhere around $3 and got it. I don't think I'll read it for quite some time though. Have to let the first one sink in! And I agree with you, it would be a shame if they mucked it up after the copyright ended!

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

I definitely didn't know that, but that is amazing to write a book like that around one final conversation. What an amazing writer!

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

Thank you! I'm glad that you enjoyed my posts!
I actually picked up Scarlett several months ago, thinking that it was actually Gone With the Wind (the spine had Gone With the Wind in big letters) and I'll read it at some point, but I have to let the original sink in first :]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...