Saturday, October 22, 2011

Movie Review: The Thing (2011)

The Thing movie poster
Title: The Thing
Release Date: October 14, 2011
Run Time:1 hour and 43 minutes
Genre: Horror
Rating: B Rating

Usually, I say boo on remakes.  I would say that the majority of the time, the remakes are never as good as the originals.  I love John Carpenter's The Thing (1982).  Probably one of my favorite horror movies.  And who doesn't love Kurt Russle?  When I saw the ads for this, I though to myself, "Great, they've cast a female as the lead, which means they're going to change a whole bunch of things and there will be some sort of romance element added."  Despite that, I still wanted to see it, if for no other reason than to see what they could do with the actual alien.  And my assumptions were wrong.

The girl that played Kate was actually really great, and there were a few things that they changed, but for the most part, they stayed pretty true to Carpenter's version.  There were a few added elements, like I don't remember them actually going into the spaceship in Carpenter's version, but they did in this one.  And there was not a single element of romance through the entire thing.  Good job director, good job.

One of the things that I was most interested in was how they were going to do the CG and makeup for the actual alien.  One of the most famous scenes from Carpenter's version was when the decapitated head sprouts legs and walked off.
The alien was horrifying.  The makeup and special effects that they used were amazing.  I was very very impressed.  I wish that I could put into words what this alien looked like as it revealed itself from human to alien form, but I have no words.  I just sat there with my hand over my mouth watching, horrified, but loving it.
This was also a movie that was built on suspense and they did that well.  I had a mark on my knuckle from where I was biting it during the movie and it lasted all day.

Great special effects, stayed pretty close to Carpenter's version, good acting, great suspense, overall I really liked it.  For a remake, this was a pretty badass remake.  Basically, I loved it.  If this wasn't a remake, I might actually give it an A, but since the original will always be my favorite, I have to give this one a B.  Definitely worth seeing though!

2 comments:

Coffee & a BookChick said...

Thank goodness there isn't any romance in it! That always drives me nuts when they add that element just because they feel it draws a wider audience. Pshaw, I saw to that! I look forward to seeing this one, glad you think it's worth seeing! (Signed, Secret Love for Kurt Russel Fan)

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

You should definitely see it. Funny thing: One of the characters looks like Kurt Russel. We were watching it, looking at each other going, "I know that's not Kurt Russel, but it looks like him!" It was pretty funny.
(And I promise I won't shout from the mountain tops about your secret love for Mr. Russel :] )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...