Wednesday, October 5, 2011

REVIEW: A Spy at Home by Joseph Rinaldo

book cover of A Spy at Home by Joseph Rinaldo
Title: A Spy at Home
Author: Joseph Rinaldo
Date Published:January 2010
Genre: Adult Fiction, Suspense
Page Count: Kindle Edition
Challenge: E-Book Challenge
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

**I received this book from the author in exchange from an honest review.**

Just from reading the title, if you're expecting some crazy, suspenseful spy drama, that's not what this is.  There's a lot more to it than that.
Garrison spent most of his adult life traveling, working for the CIA in foreign countries.  His wife, Louisa and son Noah, who has down syndrome, live their lives in his absence and when he finally retires, he has the task of learning about his son and adjusting to his wife all over again.  When his wife dies suddenly, he must learn to care for his son on his own and faces the question, "What if my son outlives me?"

The story is told through first person, which gives the impression that it is a memoir at first, but its actually fiction.  We go through and learn more about Garrison's life and learn how he and his wife came to have Noah, their son.

I found that I could connect more with Louisa than Garrison.  I don't know, something about his character made it hard for me to connect with, which made it a little hard to connect with the story.With Louisa, being almost a single mom a lot of the time, I found that I could connect with her (not that I'm a single mom, I guess its just because I'm so maternal).  And of course, Noah.  I adored him, he's such a wonderful person.  How Garrison and Louisa deal with him and the different things he goes through is very authentic and I loved that aspect of this.

The book was very well written, everything flowed together very nicely, though I did feel that sometimes the suspense that Rinaldo would build would kind of leave me hanging.  Maybe I expected more thrills, but this was more of a book that was centered around family, with the background of Garrison being a CIA operative.

I liked this book, it was a good book, well written, and heartfelt.  I have seen a lot of great reviews on it, but it just didn't grab me as much as I would have liked.  It was still a good book though, so for that reason, I give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  A Spy at Home

1 comment:

Joe Rinaldo said...

Just wanted to say thanks for your review of A Spy At Home. The comments you made will help me become a better writer, and that is ALWAYS a plus!
Joe Rinaldo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...