Friday, October 28, 2011

TGIF: Spooktacular Reads

TGIF!  Everyone loves Friday right?  This is a feature hosted by Ginger at Greadsbooks.com.  Ginger posts a discussion question every Friday and provides a post where bloggers link their posts.  It's a fantastic way to get to know other bloggers!   Interested in participating?  Hop on over to Greads! feature page and learn more and see upcoming questions!

This Friday's Question:
Spooktacular Reads: Which books do you consider festive Halloween reads? Which stories have chilled you to the bone?


Alright, if you read my blog, you know that I love horror.  All types of horror, its probably my favorite genre ever and I read a lot of it.  So, its safe to say that I have an immense pile of books that I could shove in your hands of books that you should read in the month of October and around Halloween.
  • Stephen King.  So many of his works are perfect for this time of year.  A few that really come to mind are 'Salem's Lot and Pet Semetary, which are two of my favorites and both are equally super creepy.
  • Of course, there are the classics that everyone associates with Halloween.  Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.  I just read the latter for the first time in honor of Halloween. :] 
  • Richard Matheson.  I am Legend and Hell House.  Though I've never read either of these, these are books that I want to read and make me think of Halloween.
  • Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle.  I've seen that all over the blogosphere this month and I want to read it, though I haven't had to chance yet :[
  • I read The Sleepwalkers by J. Gabriel Gates not that long ago and completely loved it.  It was like reading a horror movie through subtitles.  You can read my review here, it creeped me out and is fantastic to read for Halloween!
  • Dead of Winter by Brian Moreland.  This one I also read recently and really loved it.  Combines the supernatural, demon passession and quite a bit of gore.  I dreamed about the creatures from the book for several nights.  You can read my review here, but I highly recommend it!
What about you?  What are your favorite Spooktacular reads?

10 comments:

jeannette bruce said...

Great picks! You always give me more to add to my TBR. I've read a little Stephen King, but it was a long time ago. I'd probably like it better now than I did back then, I think. :)

LaToyaL said...

The funny thing about Pet Cemetary is that my Dad told me how spooky it was when I was a little girl. He said it was the only thing that scared him! So whenever walked by the book in my childhood house, I would get scared too!!! Needless to say that I'm too chicken to actually read it!
xo,
Lah @ LazyGirl Reads

Two Bibliomaniacs said...

I've only read The Haunting of Hill House, but I really want to read some of Shirley Jackson's other books! Huge Stephen King fan too!

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

I've heard amazing things about We Have Always Lived in the Castle, I really want to read it!
And I think its hard to be a horror fan and not love King! :]

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

Oh you should so read it! It's scary, but its so good!

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

Some people like him, some people don't, and sometimes people choose to read some of his worse books and then write him off forever. Big mistake! He's got some amazing reads that you should really pick up!

alexalovesbooks said...

I really need to read Stephen King. Like seriously.

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

You really should! Most of his work is fantastic! :]

Allison said...

I really want to read Salem's Lot! I also want to read both those books by Richard Matheson as well. Great list :)

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

You should! It's fantastic!
I need to get on the Matheson train as well, I included them, but I've never read them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...