Wednesday, November 2, 2011

REVIEW: Murder in Three Acts by Agatha Christie

book cover of Three Act Tragedy by Agatha Christie
Title:  Murder in Three Acts
Author: Agatha Christie
Date Published:  First published in 1934
Genre: Mystery
Page Count:  230 pages
Challenge:  Forgotten Treasures Challenge
Rating:  3 out of 5 stars

Christie does it again!  I absolutely love her books.

"The Reverend Stephen Babbington seldom imbibes, but at a gala thrown by actor Sir Charles Cartwright, he indulges in a cocktail and falls over dead. Since there is no trace of poison or foul play, the case is closed . . . until an identical death at a London party arouses the suspicions of Hercule Poirot."


After Mr. Babbington's untimely death, Mr. Satterthwaite, Sir Charles Cartwright and Sir Bartholomew Strange begin to suspect foul play.  Of course, after it is dismissed, Strange ends up dead as well.  Cartwright and Satterthwaite, both on holiday abroad, take a trip back to see if they can shed light on the situation and of course, Hercule Poirot comes to help as well.

I'm really starting to wonder if I will ever guess the culprit before the end of the book with Christie.  I usually can guess the ending of any book or movie, but with her I never can!  But, that's why I adore her books so much.  Once again, she leads you to believe that the murderer might be anyone, leaves subtle hints, but most of them you never see until the conclusion.  Amazing mystery.
I will say that the only thing that I didn't enjoy was how little of a part Poirot played throughout the book.  Satterthwaite was more of the narrator and more of the person who found different clues.  Not that this was terrible, I just really enjoy Poirot's character.

Great mystery, but for the small part Poirot plays, I give it a 3 out of 5.

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  Murder in Three Acts

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...