Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Dark Tower Challenge - January Discussion

Alright, one month of the year has already passed us by!  Its really crazy to think about; it feels like it was last week I was watching the New Years Eve celebrations.  But the end of the first month also means the first discussion for The Dark Tower Reading Challenge!

Now I know a lot of people have still been having a crazy month.  Its taken them a while to recooperate from the holiday season and really get things together.  So, I have a feeling that some of you may have not even started on this challenge yet, which I completey understand.
I probably wouldn't have started it myself, but the copy of The Gunslinger I bought one day was just calling me and I had to answer.  I have actually already started on the second in the series as well.

So, since I know that it is likely that many of you have not started, we'll just start off with some basic things, like Q&A type things.  Questions like:

  • Have you read The Dark Tower series before?
  • If you have, which was your favorite book from the series?  Favorite character?
  • What's your favorite King work?
  • If you've started the series, tell us what your first impressions are or if you've written any (spoiler free) reviews, post them!


My Answers:
For me, this is a reread, but I read them all so long ago that I don't think that I really got the full effect of the series and I think there were a lot of things that I missed.  I still really enjoyed them the first time I read them, but I think I will be able to appreciate them more this time around.  As far as a favorite book is concerned, I don't think I can say really.  Like I said, it has been so long since I've read them, that's a hard question to answer.  I do know that I love Jake and Oy and they might be my favorites.  Eddie, too.
A favorite King work?  I don't think I can answer that.  I've loved pretty much everything that I've ever read by him, with the exception of a few.  Some of my favorites are definitely Salem's Lot, The Stand and of course, The Dark Tower series.

Prize Alert!
Thanks to Mandy at Adventures in Borkdom, for those participants that complete the challenge at the end of the year, you will be entered to win the first 3 Dark Tower graphic novels, all brand new and in plastic!  These graphic novels tell Roland's story before the beginning of our series.  Thanks so much Mandy for your awesome contribution!

Also, if you just can't get enough of Uncle Stevie, Coffee and a Book Chick and Boarding Through Forties are hosting the Stephen King Project!  I highly encourage you to check that out as well if you haven't already!

So now, discuss, discuss, discuss!

5 comments:

Jennifer | Book Den said...

Hi Leighanne! (Do you go by Samantha or Leighanne?)

Have you read The Dark Tower series before? -- I first read The Gunslinger around 10 years or so ago and did not like it. I tried to read The Drawing of the Three right after and got about as far as the lobstrosities before I decided to quit. A year or so ago I decided to try again. I'm somewhere within The Wolves of the Calla although I'll start that one over when I pick it back up pretty soon.

If you have, which was your favorite book from the series? Favorite character? -- So far The Drawing of the Three is my favorite. I enjoyed that one (including the lobstrosities!), and it made me glad I'm trying the series again. Eddie is probably my favorite character. And Oy. So far.

What's your favorite King work? -- The Shining will probably always be my favorite King book. It was the first one I read and has a lot of special meaning to me.

If you've started the series, tell us what your first impressions are or if you've written any (spoiler free) reviews, post them! --

http://bookden.blogspot.com/2011/01/book-review-gunslinger-dark-tower-1-by.html
http://bookden.blogspot.com/2011/02/book-review-drawing-of-three-dark-tower.html
http://bookden.blogspot.com/2011/02/book-review-waste-lands-dark-tower-3-by.html
http://bookden.blogspot.com/2011/02/book-review-wizard-and-glass-dark-tower.html

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

I go by either one, it makes no difference really! :]

I'm so glad that you gave the series another shot and are actually enjoying it this time! I know that for a lot of people that The Gungslinger is somewhat hard to get through. I always liked it. I think its just because I like Roland so much and I always loved Jake as well.

Glad you're participating in the challenge! :]

Jennifer | Book Den said...

I like Jake, too. His return made me like The Gunslinger a little more than I did originally.

Mandy said...

Oh, I forgot! My favorite character is Eddie!

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

I remember bits and pieces of most of the other books, but I wish I had a definitive favorite!
I actually finished reading it at the end of 2010 I think, and it took me forever to complete. I want to read it again because I stopped in the middle of it and had this long gap and there's a lot of things I think I missed because of that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...