Wednesday, January 11, 2012

REVIEW: The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

book cover of The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
Title: The Hobbit
Author: J. R. R. Tolkien
Date Published: First published in 1937
Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction
Page Count: 256 Pages
Challenge: E-book Challenge 2012
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Everyone knows that I have struggled with reading the so-called 'classics.' This is another book that has been deemed a classic by many and one of those books that EVERYONE SHOULD READ. So, challenge accepted. Of course, this was a challenge I was very willing to take because I loved the LOTR trilogy so much and this is along the same lines. So, super easy challenge that isn't really a challenge accepted.

We follow Mr. Bilbo Baggins on his journey with 13 dwarfs and Gandalf on their way to The Lonely Mountain to defeat a dragon and steal all of his treasure. Mr. Baggins is a fairly well-to-do hobbit, very respectable, and for the most part had no desire for any sort of adventure. But on his journey he discovers that he's actually pretty good at adventures and has some pretty marvelous luck. The troop gets into a few scrapes along the way and it looks like they may not make it a few times, but our heroes somehow find a way to prevail, and that's the story pretty much.

I liked this book.  I really liked Bilbo, I loved the cast of characters that Tolkien showed us, even if I wasn't too fond of many of the dwarfs, but I loved the settings, and the dragon, and basically I just loved it.  I'm glad that I didn't wait any longer to read this book, and if you haven't read it, you should.
Thy're actually making two movies out of this little book, and that concerns me.  I was all for it when I first heard about it because I loved the LOTR movies so much, but this is a little different.  This is a pretty short book, and I'm trying to figure out how they're going to make two movies out of it.  I think that there is going to have to be some filler added and I'm really not down with that.  But, its Hollywood and they're in it to make money and they know these movies will make a lot of it.

Anyway, loved this book, if you've read LOTR and for some reason are like me and hadn't read this, I suggest you read it, and soon.  5 out of 5 stars.


Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com

1 comment:

Jennifer | Book Den said...

Really? I didn't know they were making two Hobbit movies. I really wish Hollywood would stop doing that. I tried to read The Hobbit many years ago - before reading LOTR - and I failed. I've read LOTR multiple times now, and there is really no excuse to not read The Hobbit. I'm sure I would see it in a different light now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...