Wednesday, January 25, 2012

REVIEW: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

book cover of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Title:  The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games Trilogy #1)
Author:  Suzanne Collins
Date Published:  First published January 2008
Genre:  Young Adult, Dystopian, Fantasy
Page Count:  E-book
Challenge:  E-Book Challenge 2012
Rating:  5 out of 5 stars

I know that I jumped on the bandwagon for this SUPER late, and that was partly because the movie is being close to being released and I did want to see it.  I bought this on my Nook forever ago, kept telling myself that I was going to read it and just never did.  In a way, I treated this series a lot like Harry Potter, which I didn't read until after there was so much hype you just couldn't ignore it.
This was one of those books where I was a little concerned that it just wasn't going to live up to the hype for me, but I was definitely wrong.

I don't think I need to give a synopsis, but if for some reason you live under a rock and don't know the premise of this book, you can read a synopsis here on Goodreads.

This just sounds weird, but I really loved the bleak world that Collins painted in this book.  Panem, which is really post apocalyptic America was a pretty scary place.  In a way, it kind of reminded me of the setting in 1984 just a little bit.
The characters were the other thing that I loved.  I loved Katniss's will to survive.  Sometimes, it is really hard to make a character believable, especially in a setting like this, but Collins did a fantastic job.  Since it was told from Katniss's point of view, you got to go through her thought processes with her, and it felt real, not manufactured in any way.
And then the inevitable love story with Peeta.  But I won't really say more than that for anyone that hasn't read this book.

I LOVED this book, I couldn't put it down.  I finished it way quicker than I had intended to, but it was well worth it.  I'm trying to savor the series, so I'm not reading them one after the other, but it won't be long before I pick up the second in the series.  I definitely give this book a 5 out of 5 stars.

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com   The Hunger Games

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...