Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Sunday Salon (28)

So this is a return to The Sunday Salon, where I basically just talk about bookish things.

So let's see, where to begin.
Well, we can start with the fact that I'm trying to find that balance in between life and blogging again.  Reading as well.  November and December were crazy months and the next few months will bring many more challenges, such as finding my first big girl job and starting my new life beyond college.  I hope that in spite of this I can find the balance that I had at one time and then maintain it.

As I stated before, my goal for this year is to to read a lot of my own books.  And I mean A LOT of them.  I have so many books on my bookshelves that have been waiting forever to be read, and I want this year to be the year to be the year that they get read.  I already made the decision that I'm not going to be accepting review requests aside from the ones that I still need to read, so I can focus on the things that I WANT to read.  I want to make this more fun and less like a chore, and at time it felt a little like a chore last year.

Have you ever gotten to the point where you felt like reading/reviewing was a chore rather than something you enjoyed doing?  What did you do to get over it?  Let me know!

9 comments:

Unfinished Person said...

When I first started book blogging, I did a lot of reviewing, not for publishers, but for myself. Now I don't do much, if any, reviews on my blog. Instead, I focus on giving overviews of what I'm reading and if anything strikes me as particularly noteworthy, then maybe I'll review it. Even then I'm more likely to include my thoughts on it in larger "context" posts. As for reading slumps, it happens, you just have to climb back on the horse and ride :).

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I have felt as though reviewing were a chore at points along the way...especially this past year.

I've decided to pass on books that are not from authors I love, or books that sound so captivating I can't resist them....That actually eliminates a lot of them.

I'm learning to say "no," without guilt. I am whittling down my TBR stacks, and one of my challenges is directed toward that goal; another (the chunkster challenge) will kill two birds with one stone, since many books on my stacks are hefty!

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and
MY WEBSITE

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

To get through the reading slump, I picked up a book that I WANTED to read last night, rather than one I felt like I had to read. I'll get to those eventually.
Don't get me wrong, I love reviewing books, I just think that taking review requests wasn't a smart idea for me just starting out. Lesson learned!

Debnance said...

Absolutely! I am the Girl Who Can't Say No. Although I'm trying to be better about that. When you find yourself drowning in so-so books that you agreed to review, you will decide to (sometimes) Just Say No.

Here is my Sunday Salon. I hope you will stop by!

Kathmeista said...

You know what, I have just been thinking exactly the same thing about canning the book reviewing for publishers (not that I did a massive amount of it anyways) and just purely focussing on what I want to read. Seeing that you are planning on doing the same has only strengthened my resolve. Hurrah for pleasure reading I say!

Beltwayliterature said...

I haven't felt that reading/reviewing was a chore. I think part of that deals with my approach toward my blogging about books. It's more about me posting my own thoughts, not necessarily anything critical, as I'm more along the lines of writing about my journey with books.

But that's not to say I haven't felt like I've been in a rut with my blogging, I certainly have, and sometimes, a break of a couple of weeks has rejuvenated my interest in blogging.

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

I have definitely been in the midst of some so-so books lately. And I feel like I have to finish them because I agreed to review them. I'm definitely going to have to learn to say no!

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

I don't do a massive amount either, and I've agreed to do a lot of self published books and most of the time, their decent, but I've decided that I really just want to focus on what I want to read, not what I HAVE to read. Glad you feel the same way that I do, yay for pleasure reading! :]

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

That makes a lot of sense, I think that we do have different approaches. With long books I think I approach it more like you, like when I read Gone With the Wind and I'm still working on Anna Karenina right now.
I disappeared from blogging for almost two months with my college graduation, so I'm glad to get back into it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...