Wednesday, February 8, 2012

REVIEW: Abarat by Clive Barker

book cover of Abarat by Clive Barker
Title: Abarat (Abarat #1)
Author: Clive Barker
Date Published: First published 2002
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Science Fiction
Page Count: 432 pages
Challenge: None
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Welcome to the Abarat, an amazing archipeligo where each island is stuck at a certain hour of the day, where amazing creatures live that we have never imagined.  But strange things are beginning to happen in the Abarat and dark forces are starting to come alive.
Candy Quakenbush lives in the most boring town in the world, Chickentown, USA.  A chance encounter with John Mischief in an empty field, and Candy's life will never be the same.  She's swept away into the Abarat and  it is her job to help save the Abarat.

I loved this book.  When I saw Barker's name, I thought that this was going to be some sort of horror something, based on his other books that I've read (The Hellbound Heart, Mister B. Gone).  This was very different from what I was expecting.
All of the characters had crazy names, and just the premise is a little crazy, islands that are stuck at one hour of the day?  The creatures were so fantastic that it was hard to imagine.  John Mischief and all of his brothers, Malingo, the crazy wizard, everything was so fantastic.
Candy is kind of a crazy heroine, there is some definite foreshadowing throughout the book and little clues are given to Candy's destiny on the Abarat.  The other character that I was absolutely loved was Christopher Carrion (pictured on the cover).  He is the villain of sorts in the book, but there is a lot more to him, but you don't learn it all in the first book.

The thing that I disliked the most was there were crazy adventures throughout the book, but once again, as it always is in a series, there was so much left that was unresolved.  Of course there are 2 other books and one in the works, but I just hated how he just left off.  Also there was no major crisis or anything, at this point, its just cat and mouse, but you can feel something coming.  I'm just impatient so I want to already know what it is!

Anyway, I enjoyed this book, I know I'm going to enjoy the next two.  Can't wait to get through book 2!  4 out of 5 stars.

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  Abarat by Clive Barker

1 comment:

Shanon @ Escaping With Fiction said...

I've been very curious about this series for a while, but wasn't really sure if it'd be something I'd like. But after reading your review I may just have to give it a shot! Great review! =D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...